Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped the original motor and trans out of my 67 and put in a 302 out of a 71 Torino that had a automatic trans with it. I put that whole drivetrain in and after a day or so I got it running great but I lowered it down to test drive it and my gears wouldn't catch so it just sat and didn't move. The trans fluid is good, my shifter is connected and I really really don't want to have to drop the transmission again. A few things I have noticed I did wrong was I out the torque converter on dry I have no kick down attached and no fluid coming out of my trans lines. Please help

P

·
0 Posts
Your next to last sentence I have no idea what you are saying . . . . Was the transmission in the Torino a floor shift? If not, the linkage/shifter ear is not correct for a floor shift Mustang. It seems you split the engine and trans when you removed it. Why? I'm guessing you did not install the torque converter correctly, which causes it to not engage the pump. This can also cause you to ruin the transmission. At the very least, it looks like the trans is coming back out.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,373 Posts
Odds are very good you either did not seat the torque converter all the way back in the transmission if/when you took it out or you tilted the transmission enough so that the converter slipped out of the pump and you didn't notice.
If you did not unbolt the transmission from the engine to do the swap then it's something else. But people mess up the converter installation a LOT. Some folks even try to bolt the converter to the engine and THEN the transmission which absolutely does not work. Often is the converter install went awry the transmission pump gets broken and has to be replaced.

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
A few things I have noticed I did wrong was I out the torque converter on dry I have no kick down attached and no fluid coming out of my trans lines. Please help
Huh?

The cooler lines should be connected, with no way to see fluid.

The kickdown means nothing, you could drive cross country without it.

If you put the torque converter on without any fluid inside, you have a serious problem. It should be completely filled before installation.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,373 Posts
If you don't have a pressure gauge you can pull a line and start the engine and see if fluid is circulating (gushing out on the ground). Maybe that's what he means?
Torque converters don't have to be completely filled. Standard practice is to put a quart in them but a pint or so will actually do. As long as the engine is started with AT LEAST four quarts in the pan that is. And like three more quarts added ASAP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts