Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get into the restoration so the questions are starting to build. I have a 66 C code coupe that originally had a 289 with auto trans. The original motor and trans are long since gone. I have a 302 and a C4 that I got from a 69 Farlane 500 that I am planning to install in the Mustang. The Fairlane had a column shift and obviously the Mustang has a floor shifter. Am I ok with this motor and transmission combo in my 66 or are there hidden problems that I am going to run into? Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated. We are starting the frame repairs in the next few weeks so I am hoping to start the motor installation shortly after that. Thanks in advance for any information

-Rob

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You'll need an early floor shift gear selector and kickdown arm. Possibly a neutral safety/reverse light switch.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the neutral safety switch and shifter from the 66 already, and I am ordering a 66 auto shift linkage and kickdown cable from VA Mustang. Is this what you are referring to or is ther something else. Sorry for all of the questions but I am new at the restoration game.

-Rob

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I think Art is talking about the two levers on the trans itself, which actuate the internals.

I've always had floor shift C4's so I don't know if there's a difference in that area...

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I think Art is talking about the two levers on the trans itself, which actuate the internals.

I've always had floor shift C4's so I don't know if there's a difference in that area...
unless of course, you decide to make the world's first column-shift Mustang ;)

be a pioneer! think outside the box! break that paradigm! ::

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
http://www.boomspeed.com/jafar278/c4selector.JPG

Missing the switch for B.U. lights/neutral safety

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
you decide to make the world's first column-shift Mustang

A friend decided to do just that with a "three-on-the-tree" column/linkage/trans from an old Comet... Everything was going well until he discovered the Comet steering shaft was slightly shorter than a Mustang.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to double check and make sure but I believe this is the same configuration as my C4. I did a google search and apparently there is a rod on the inside of the transmission that connects to the valve body. From what I read it is pointing up for a floor shift and down for a column shift. Can anyone confirm this and let me know if I can convert a C4 from column shift to floor shift?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thats correct.. the levers on the drivers side of the transmission point up from the pivot as in Arts image, and for column shift point down.. you can either swap the arms/shafts with floor shift units, or make adaptors to compensate.. I know B&M shifters used to come with clamp on adaptors to work for their cable shifters, and prolly could be used for this...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this a change that I can do myself, and where would I find the parts to do it? I really want to stick with the original shifter

-Rob

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure enough mine is 180 off (level pointing down. Now what can I do ::

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I am really confused. I am going through my 66 mustang shop manual and figure 18 under group 7 clearly shows the trans lever going down. The linkage goes horizontal backwards from the trans for a short distance and then goes up diaganally a short distance and then horizontally again back to the shifter. I have looked at the replacement shift linkage and it looks like the one in the manual. Does this meen that I can use the transmission that I have ??? I am really confused now. ::

Here is a link to the figure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts