Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got me engine back today from the machine shop. It looks great. I already looked at the obvious things that can go wrong from the past. Like missing oil galley plugs, oil pan drains, forgetting to put in oil etc.

I know I need sealant for the flywheel bolts(but which kind?).

What other problems should I look to avoid? I blew a few engines up in my younger days and hope to avoid any problems this time..... I hope to avoid the errors that other folks have made in the past.

Any tips? Any stories?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I use loctite on the flywheel bolts...

I refresh my own memory on the firing order and where #1 is.

Having a preluber shaft for a drill to pressurize the oiling system

Next time I'll already have a burp hole drilled in the thermostat of the new motor so I can fill the engine pretty accurately before starting it.

If possible using a known good recently used carburetor and ignition.

Retorquing the header bolts after the first day or so.

Installing a bigger radiator if going from a stock motor to a significantly cammed up motor.

Not forgetting to tighten down the converter to flexplate nuts.

Not forgetting to set valve lash/lifter preload at least to ballpark.

Correct length belts and hoses if needing replacement/reconfiguration.

Gas in the tank, LOL!!!!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
BTW......wouldnt the plural of doofus be doofii?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If you have an auto tranny make sure that when you bolt the torque converter to the flexplate that the drain plug on the converter is lined up with the hole in the flexplate. I learded that the hard way.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I use either #2 Permatex or Indian Head Gasket Shellac to seal the flexplate/flywheel bolts.

Clean all the oil galleys with soapy water and long bottle brushes or a gun cleaning kit, don't forget to clean the oil holes in the crankshaft throws!

Use plenty of lube on the rear main seal... A dry start-up will wipe it out immediately!

Plasti-gage all the bearings! If a little too much clearance, you can get .001" undersize (or oversize) bearings. Stay within factory tolerance or oil pressure will be on the low side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts