Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's and Gals out there! I 've just about got my exhaust leak repaired and exhaust put back together (Again, thanks to all who helped me with tips on the rusty manifold removal! Your tips resulted in not one broken or stripped bolt and I appreciate you all!). The question today relates to engine detailing. Once I get the manifold painted and installed, I would like to then set about detailing the engine. I know that I will have to eventually replace some parts and will soon be adding power brakes to the I6 Mustang, but want to go ahead and provide myself with a more clean environment in which to work. I don't think the previous owner ever did much cleaning under there, because the car was not a show car for him, simply a driver, and it will remain that way for me as well, but I take pride in my Mustang and want the inside to shine as much as the outside. What I'd like to know is, what are the best products to use?, any homemade solutions? Any secret techniques? Does anyone use steam anymore? Guide me in the way's of cleanliness, oh Mustang Masters!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I watch these engine bay cleaning posts everytime they come up for the magic solution! Try searching this site, it's been brought up a bunch of times. In the end I think it comes down to locking yourself in the garage with 1000 rags and twice as many cleaners/degreasers. And then start painting everything over!! Fortunately, I enjoy the task... The most important thing is patience. :)

Oh, and if I HAVE missed the magic solution, someone please post it!! I can only enjoy engine detailing to a degree,..

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Costco's OilEater is GREAT! I like it a lot better than Simple Green, which I used to use.
Stan

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think a good power washing would in order first , if possible with hot water and than the cleaners. Maybe even have it steam cleaned . Yea I know the issue with starting maybe there , but if done yor garage all you need to do is let it sit and dry out.

Reactions: image98

·
Registered
116 Posts
Me and my dad have a used car lot and we have a steam cleaner we use to clean engines. use some degreaser let it soak and steam away and it will get alot of nastyness out of it some of the heavy grease and grime will have to be scraped off.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
warm grease comes off easier than cold- so get the motor warm- soak the heaviest areas and let em soak (you can do this ahead of time) then pressure wash. I don't usually cover anything- but be aware you can drown the distributor (so if you do this at the local car wash- have a dry rag and someWD-40 with you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
warm grease comes off easier than cold- so get the motor warm- soak the heaviest areas and let em soak (you can do this ahead of time) then pressure wash. I don't usually cover anything- but be aware you can drown the distributor (so if you do this at the local car wash- have a dry rag and someWD-40 with you.
OOHHH yes i did this in my 7-up vert and went to walmart and came out and wouldnt crank, freaking water! lol it can still build up if it cranks right after u spray it. i usually let em sit a few hours in the sun

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used paint stripper from Home Depot on the fender wells and firewall since it had an undercoating rough paint on them. Wire Brush and brake cleaner on the engine. Engine was painted with Hi Temp Ford Blue fender wells and firewall got the Krylon Satin Black treatment.
Here are some before and after pics.
Thanks,
Fred

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
well i believe that i didnt even use degresser on mine. when my engine was out i hit everything with a wire wheel while standing inside the engine bay. then hit it with the jitter but then sanded it down by hand then painted it the only thing i used degreeser on is anything under the engine cause it got alot of greese on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys! Sorry Dean (Black 65), you're right, I should have done a search on the subject. I'm new at this forum thing. I'll do a search in the future. Great tips though, they will all come in handy. I know that it's much easier to do a better job with the engine out of the car, but don't have the equipment for that, so I'll just have to tackle it under the hood. Thanks again all, I'll get started and post some pics!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do Dean, Thanks! In my mind, there should be a miracle solution for everything....finances, relationships, Mustang engine cleaning, etc.... LOL! Have a great day!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Costco's OilEater is GREAT! I like it a lot better than Simple Green, which I used to use.
Stan
OilEater is the best, bar none. Just be careful using it on paint, not so much car paint but latex or oil based house paint. It will change the color. It will pull old oil stains out of concrete. Be careful on a blacktop driveway, make sure you keep it wet otherwise it will break down the tar. Overall though, you will not find a better cleaner!!!

And don't get it all over your hands, it will suck all the oil out of your skin and leave your hands dry and chapped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have recently purchased a '65 mustang hardback and while the interior is in top notch condition it was used as a daily driver and the engine looks like it, I'm hoping to spruce it up and make it look nice, if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this or any tips/tricks I would appreciate it, attached are the pictures of what it looks like now

Attachments

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I like Simple Green for some things, but it appears to be caustic and can etch aluminum. I have seen it cause paint to fog up too. I usually use plain blue Dawn in hot water if its just needing a little cleaning. If it is bad then that probably won't do it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts