Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost ready to paint my engine bay. I'm curious what everybody has used on their restorations. I'm going for the original look, or as close as I can get anyways.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Krylon 1612

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
Uhhh, that's Krylon 1613.

Someone posted about a Duplicolor DE-1613. I wonder if Krylon uses the same paint coding that others use...Hmmm....

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
1612, 1613, whatever it takes.

Sorry about that. Shows what happens when you try to be first to Know It All.

Steve

·
Registered
631 Posts
DP-90LF and 402LF catalyst

wjj

G

·
this has a slightly grayish look to it, but it will pass concours judging.

i have had good luck with PPG DAR9000 with 25-30% flattener

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thanks for your comment, Charles

It doesn't look gray to me. I got the recommendation to use DP90LF from Pete Morgan (67-68 MCA Gold Card Judge & 67-68 Shelby Certified Judge). See previous post

wjj

G

·
Pete and I restore cars together and do not always agree 100% on everything. I think the DP is too grey, just my opinion. The original engine bay paint was a deeper black with a touch of gloss.

G

·
I used POR15 chassiscoat black, dont know if its concours correct but it looks really good. It's a nice smooth shine not too shiny not too dull. Sorry dont have any pics posted yet of how it looks, but I think it looks great, Good Luck..

SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, 4SPD
IM ALMOST THERE.......

·
Registered
406 Posts
We do disagree from time to time and he still does not believe me about what the letters and digits of a part number represent!!

I believe I recommended DP90LF with 402LF catalyst and a DT reducer (number code depends on humidity) mixed at 2:1:0.5. The slower catalyst allows the paint to set up smoother and the reducer flows the paint better creating a better semi-gloss appearance. I don't think the color is gray in anyway, but I do agree with Charles that the original black is a blacker black, if that is possible.

Regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts