Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but the results weren't even close to the search prompt I gave it. Engine bay paint comes up with retorque heads along with other threads not pertaining to engine bay paint. Anyway, I am getting close to painting my engine bay and want to know what the correct paint is. I would like a SS urethane but I don't think it is available. I have black epoxy that is very close to the correct gloss but it is not UV resistant. Is my only choice going to be BC/CC with a flattened CC? I would like to avoid this option as it require alot of time consuming trial and error to find the correct gloss.
Grant

G

·
A lot of guys use straight DP90LF with reducer to give it a little extra sheen. Have never heard of anyone having chalking problems as it would take years of direct sunlight for that to happen.

Otherwise, just go with your favorite brand straight black with 30% gloss.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may just use the epoxy then if there haven't been any problems. Your name is respected around here so your word is enough for me! So just a little extra reducer eh?
Grant

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Charles, I was planning on using a urethane. How does the DP90LF hold up to engine compartment solvents and chips?

A lot of guys use 1613, but I've found that it wears off the fan and places in line with the fan in particular. I'm looking for something a little more rugged.

G

·
The DP will hold up nicely and can be touched up with 1613.

When mixing with reducer, go 2:1:0.5, verify with the spec sheet.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
sigtauenus said:
A lot of guys use 1613, but I've found that it wears off the fan and places in line with the fan in particular. I'm looking for something a little more rugged.
For small items I bake the part after paint. Smooths out the finish (without adding shine) and seems to really improve how long it lasts

Just an option

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Jeff_Speegle said:
For small items I bake the part after paint.
With this option make sure you order pizza after sending wife ou shopping. Order many toppings which will
a. overpower the paint smell in house caused from baking
b. make you look like a hero
;)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
tlea said:
Jeff_Speegle said:
For small items I bake the part after paint.
With this option make sure you order pizza after sending wife ou shopping. Order many toppings which will
;)
Unless one of the toppings is anchovies, and wow what a hijack, huh?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
tlea said:
;)
Just wait till she's asleep. Works for me as not all paint puts off allot of vapors during the process. Guess I could get some heat lamps they sell for powder coating if I did this often enough

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
An alternate method is work a different shift/different days off. After "baking" some parts several weeks ago, I got busted though. The wife came home earlier than expected. Sniff, sniff. Honey, what's burning? Well dear, ummmmmmmmm......
:rofl:

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Used to use the dish washer for cleaning wire hubcaps and polished allot of mag/aluminum wheels on the living room floor. :shocked:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I redid my engine bay using PPG DAR9000 with flattener. This was sprayed over DP90LF. It looks very good.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts