Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some krylon semi flat black . would this be a good paint to use on my engine bay ? i would like it to have some shine and gloss to it but not too much . if not the semi flat, what would be a good choice? thanks.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Krylon 1613 (semi-flat) is close, but a little too dull. It dries REALLY fast, but is not very scratch-resistant. I did my engine compartment in 1613 and "burnished" the paint with a shop towel that had a tiny bit of hand cleaner (non abrasive) on it. It gives the paint just a bit more sheen. Looks about right to me.

Rustoleum makes a satin black, number 7777, that is also close, but is a bit too glossy. It is a more durable paint, but is very slow drying and is incompatible with many other paints (crazing and lifting).

THe cheapest/easiest finish to use is the Krylon, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
A friend used that BBQ black on his a couple years back and it still is holding up. It's a semi-gloss that isnt too glossy and not too flat....right in the middle. It's pretty durable too because it's made to withstand a little heat because its for BBQ's.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Eastwoods underhood black is my paint of chioce. Use an adheasion promoter before you apply the paint. mix it and use a spray gun for best results.Billy ::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts