Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got my engine bay wiring harness on the kitchen table.

I cleaned each wire and terminal end. The harness is in great shape.

Im adding an additional 12ga power wire and a couple trigger wires to the harness for possible future upgrades.

I want to run the horns off a relay and circuit breaker and the headlights off relays.

I also want to wire a 3g harness into the loom, someday I will upgrade the alt. Im going to get the harness from the Pull-A-Part

Im seeing a bunch of relay kits for the headlights but Im not seeing what gauge wire was used so I figured that I would buy the ceramic plugs for $10 and make my own.

Is there an accurate wiring diagram I can use for reference to do this?

Is there anything else I should do before I wrap the harness back up and get it ready to install?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woodchuck, circuit breakers and no fuses?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The original headlight switch has a breaker in it so that if it blows it'll reset in a few seconds and your headlights will come back on so you might be able to nurse it home or at least to safety on the side of the road with the lights going on and off. It's at least better than having no lights at all.

Since the headlight switch is just turning on the relays now it'll never have enough of a load to trip the breaker so putting a breaker in the relay harness maintains this safety feature versus putting a fuse in. It's pretty unlikely that your relay harness is ever going to overheat and blow the breaker, but if it ever did it'd be nice to have the lights going on and off versus just being off and leaving you in the dark.

At least that's the way I was looking at it when I built mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts