Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a question i have a v8 302 in my 72 and it started to knock last night i think it bit the dust so what do i need to do to rebuild it also is there anything i can do to get some more performance out of it like power forged pistons or anything liek that what about a cam roler or regualr?????

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Get a book on engine rebuilding.....Amazon has a good selection...

When you understand the process of rebuilding, then read up on high performance modifications...

That's the route I took back when I was a teenager...totally taught myself how to fix cars and engines...

If you don't have the time for this but have lots of money, just pay a well-referred shop to do the work for you....tell them how much HP you want and your budget and they'll fix you right up...

Price range will be anywhere from 1.5K for a stock rebuild up to the 6-7K range for a 500 hp 302....

Have fun!

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i prolly cant get someone on the side to do this and cant pay between 600-1000 thats about my budget

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The very cheapest rebuilt short blocks are about $795. Long block a couple hundred more. These prices are usually on end of life engines. Quality rebuilt 302 long blocks are about $1,500 and up. A local rebuilder may be able to do a good job for about $1,200 if he does it as fill in work or if he truly needs the work. Here's the catch...if you go to someone cut rate, and they are unscrupulous, then often they won't rebuild, rather just overhaul the engine, new rings, bearings, etc., and this can have a very poor result and subsequent short engine life. Note well, at the low end of the cost scale, it becomes a real crap shoot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts