Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out guys!!

I bought a 302 I was planning on stroking but the costs seem to be pretty high since I need someone to do most the work, (if not all). Has anybody used a crate motor for their project??? Preferably a stroker but any direction you can point me is good!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I visited an engine builder near Detroit today. This guy used to build them from scratch, but now he just buys long blocks from Ford Racing and converts them for use in whatever car you have. He just finished the dyno on a 302 putting out 345 hp. It's the same motor I'm planning for my restomod. The motor direct from Ford is $3000. When this guy is done with it, you've got a running engie with intake, carb, ignition, all the front dressed up in chrome, proper oil pan and damper- all for $4700. Just drop it in. You can see similar work at this web-site. www.fordcobraengines.com

jim

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
There's a lot of crate engines out there now... but I'd check around and see if you can't find someone to build your 302 for you... you could probably do the tear-down and all, then collect the stroker kit, flywheel, balancer, etc. and have the machining and balancing done... then all you need is someone who's good at the million and one details of putting the thing together...

If you don't have a trusted, known entity to build it - I might opt for the crate, but you might find that you'll give up some details/hp... Check out www.keithcraft.com for example...

Just my $.02

-bob

·
Registered
348 Posts
A lot of body shops I have been to have a guy who does nothing but rebuilds. I would try talking to the guys in the shop at the Ford dealership and they will A) Be one of those guys or B) Know one of those guys.

I'd build it, that way you get exactly what you want, and it will probably still be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I say buid it yourself. Ask a lot of questions. You may make some mistakes but the knowlage you gain will be well worth it. Unless you plan on never working on a motor again then let some one else build it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Find a good engine builder in your area and sit and talk with him about what you want. Odds are the cost will be about the same, but you'll end up with a better engine. You just never know what you're getting with a crate motor. When building it yourself, you get to build it exactly how you're going to drive it.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Do your homework and build it yourself. ;)

There are lots of good engine building books available and you've always got the VMF and other online resources. Just find a GOOD and honest machine shop in your area to do the machine work on the block. You can rent or borrow tools to double check clearances during mock up.

There is much self satisfaction and knowledge to be gained and you will enjoy the process.

It ain't brain surgery! ::

·
Registered
531 Posts
I like mstngjoe's response. I have been tossing around the idea of rebuilding it myself as well. I actually started out wanting to do it all (except machine work of course), and the more research I do, the more discouraged I get. Engine building IS rocket science! There are tolerances, torque specs, clearances, blah, blah, blah!

What keeps me on the side of do-it-yourself, is the fact that I want to be able to say I did everything on the car, and so far that holds true. I look forward to the wrenching and mechanical (body work gets old fast), and dropping a crate motor in would take a big chunk out of the part I look forward to the most!

I also only plan to use this as a weekend warrior, so dependability isn't so much of a factor. If the engine blows, I can tow it home and start again hoping to learn from the first one. If it were going to be a daily driver that I depend on, that might be a different story.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you have the place to do it, the equipment, don't mind buying a lot of misc. tools and equipment you may never use again, have a friend who has successfully built your particular engine before, have a very understanding SWMBO, and have an aptitude for mechanical things - then you can build an engine with low risk of having problems for less $$$$. You'll be working for about 10 cents an hour so hopefully you enjoy working and getting dirty. In the end there is a lot of satisfaction when you fire it up, and hit the throttle. The second time around will much easier and you can fix any earlier mistakes (performance engines don't last forever and of course you'll always want higher performance).

Otherwise, get something with a warranty or as a minimum from a proven reliable trustworthy source. Don't buy an engine built by a stranger unless you don't mind when very strange expensive things happen. Even when just buying, the VMF will help you identify lots of things to avoid, e.g. two piece valves, pins that intrude into piston rings, etc. etc. Most performance engines are sold with short term or very limited warranties. There is no substitute for a really competent engine builder that stands by the product.

I've analyzed my own and many other's posted cost roll-ups on engine builds also, and I have to say that the savings of doing it yourself may actually be an expense, especially the first time around.

You said "I need someone to do most the work, (if not all)." so I'd look into plan B.

Note: I may be a shade biased since mine is in pieces at the moment, so this is “IMHO” as they say.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I'd say find someone with the knowledge and work with them. The amount of sperience that you'll gain will be worth it ;)
I had a friend of mine that does head porting help me with my race setup of the 289. The attention to detail that Dean provided... I don't think I could get that at any "Shop"
Now, if I can just get the FB painted and drop the engine in.... ::

Of course if you're mechanically declined then have someone else do all the work ;) ;)
Just my two-fitty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts