Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out guys!!

I bought a 302 I was planning on stroking but the costs seem to be pretty high since I need someone to do most the work, (if not all). Has anybody used a crate motor for their project??? Preferably a stroker but any direction you can point me is good!

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
There seems to be a fair amount of places to get crate motors. Turn key setup is kinda spendy....starting a about $4500....and up...mostly up! :: Best deal of course is if your somewhat mechanically challenged.. ;) or (as myself) don't really understand packaging setups. Is to just go the long block route. Internals and heads are done, just add your bolt ons. The best deal...money wise,that I found was the guys in this artical..there name and number is at the bottom of the page. I called and had a pretty good chat with them...they use brand new 5.0 blocks. If and when I decide to make a change, I'll probably be giving them a call. (They are willing and can do just about whatever your looking for)
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/86598/

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I guess you could say I put a crate motor in mine. I bought a new short block from Ford Racing, put different heads, camshaft, timing set on it. I bought my stuff from Summit racing. There was a $80 freight charge for the short block to come from Ohio. I picked it up at the Yellow Freight distribution center in Seattle. The beauty of Summit racing is that there's no sales tax on anything. For most stuff it's a flat "handling" charge of 7.95 or 8.95 per order. I've had the front porch full of boxes for one flat fee, so it pays to batch up your orders.

Ford Racing does have a 347 stroker short block(part number M-6009-B347, $2459 @ Summit).

Stroked66 has a 347 stroker in his car, maybe he'll chime in when he gets back off the river. Blkstlln also has a 347.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Yeah I'm back

I didn't go with a crate motor or shortblock. I built mine from the original 289 block I had. In the end, I spent as much, or more than, I would have had I bought a turn-key crate.

Would I do it again? Probably not! there are allot of good crate motors and/or longn blocks out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts