Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Direction changed, see page two. Sorry I am a bit like a humming bird at times, ha

OLD:
I'm in the planning stage for my next build and I've definatly have a few things I need to figure out.

What I'd like is the largest displacement possible. To be blunt this is for the feel, there is nothing like it to me. I'm not looking to make insane power, I just looooove the rumble a huge engine makes. However there comes a point where its too greatly impratical, like a 700ci engine or something.

I'd like to be in the 500 range, maybe stroke a 460. I'd also like to have fuel injection if possible, and I would also like to do as much as humanly possible myself. Thats how I roll. ;)

The car is mainly going to be a show car, but I also want it to rip things up when it wants to. I've love for it to see the track, but I'd also love to be able to take it on the street. This is by no means supost to be a pratical street car, just something that say I can drive to a show. However I'd like to use pump gas if possible.

For those of you whom have built your engine, what did it cost you? What problems should I be on the look out for? Suggestions, advise, links, info all appreated.

Thanks ^_^

·
Registered
915 Posts
What type of car is it going in? If it's going into your 67 I would build a 390 with 428 heads and then stroke it further. There is so much progress today in performance 390's tons of new stuff out there, and it will drop right in to your engine compartment. But there has to be mods done to rearend and tranny. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning it for a '69. The idea is to start with a shell and rebuild everything up with some mods. The engine basicly effects everything else so I need to get that figured out.

Thanks ^_^

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. yes I should ha. But regaurdless of the car being built I need to figure out the engine, for the purpose of the build isn't changing. As of right now I can't buy something to work on because I'm about to move, thus I figure things out for the build so I don't have to do it later.
Saves me time then, lol...

·
Registered
915 Posts
I see just a dreaming. It's keeping you awake at nights thinking of all the stuff your going to build. Iam in the same boat.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I built 550hp 460 for a 70 fastback years ago and it was so fast in a straight line that in would scare the crap out of me every time i got on it and any one riding with me. It had a 4-speed trans with a 3.70 rear gear, 4 bolt block and ported SCJ heads 1160 BG holley carb.

The HP you seek is easy to do with a 460 and very streetable. However, the car is very front end heavy. If I was to do it all over again i would stroke a 351W to 400 plus cubes to keep the front end weight down. I've never been a big fan of the FE engines there for I have no experience with them.

Running a SB engine will open the door for tranny options where as the 460 is a little more limited.

The fuel injection will be a costly install to run 500hp and even more costly for the 460. There is only two states that had MA on the 460 engines, all others are SD which is very touchy to any kind of engine mods. Meaning it won't run right if to big of a cam is install or some other major change to air flow and so on. The SB EFI market is flooded with performance EFI stuff.

But thats just what I would do or would like to do, stroke the 351W and install a super charger for that extra HP.

EDIT: The 460 is a pain in the butt to work on in a 67-70 chassis.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the imput, I'll have to give that some thought. I see a lot of recommendations for stroking 351w everytime I read something.

I know being front end heavy makes cornering more difficult, but are there other things to consider about this?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Stephen 67 I am in agreement with the others on a 351 w stroked, but I was answering your question I love the rumble of a big motor. So I just assumed you wanted a BIG Block. There's just so many more options with a small block and easy to find parts including parts if they fail when your on the road.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah.

I don't see the car being driven all that often, its something I really want to pour my heart into and thus something I don't want other people to mess up, ha. I REALLY love huge engines, I love the way they make the ground rumble like a stampied is coming. Its something you just can't get with smaller engines trying to be loud. Thus I wanted the most amount of displacement possible.

I am pretty sure I will rebuild the whole front end, framing and all. I want to take this project very very far, so I was hoping that redoing this area might make setting the engine in easier. I'm also considering a one peice front on it so the whole thing would open forward, there is something just cool about that. Its something I'd still like to be street legal though, in case I just get the desire to take it out one night with other Mustang owners or something.

Even if I ever got into racing this wouldn't be raced, I would make something specific for that. I just like going forward really fast, ha.

But again, my goal here isn't horsepower ironicly, its displacement. Not trying to really be practical about it on this project, its all about the feel.

However, I think I will save the stroked 351w idea for my '67 later on ^_^

What I am mainly trying to figure out is the price game. I'd love to be able to make the engine myself, but with as much going on it might just be something I pay someone for. Thats why I'd like to know what it ran people to build their engine so I can have a better idea of how much money is being spent actually paying someone to put it together verse parts.

I've seen 533ci go for about $7,000, and 557ci for about $9000.Both making insane amount of power. I stress again though, the goal with this project is displacement. Its about that dream where you take away the logic in it all and just make something stupid awesome, ha.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just checked ebay-$1100 for a 533 stroker rods-crank-pistons-rings etc etc! Thats about what I payed for my 347 stroker kit! If I would have only gone with a 351-393 stroker oh the power!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I would normally go with the heard and recommend a 351 based build up if the car were to see any serious street driving, but in this case you're plans are for more of a show car and I have to admit that a huge, "How the @%^# did he get that in there?" big block makes an impression on the show field! A 460 is IMO a better starting point than an FE. I know an FE will bolt in easier, but 460 parts are cheaper and the 460 architecture will support more cubes. Aftermarket mounts simulating the Boss 429 mounts are readily available to bolt the block into a '69, all you need at that point to complete the transplant are a short style (T-Bird) water pump and custom headers. Trans choices are limited to either a C6, 4 speed, or an aftermarket 5 or 6 speed like a Tremec or T56. A stroker kit, aluminum heads, and a victor intake modded for EFI will produce more power than could possibly be handled on street tires. As far as EFI, the standard 5.0 MAF system is very adaptable and as long as the injector size is matched to the MAF sensor calibration it will run your big block just fine. A regular 460 EFI distributor from a 90's F250 will match up with the computer. In fact, this is exactly how Ford SVO did their Boss 460 Mustang Show car, which had Boss429 heads on a FRPP 460 block (stroked to 540c.i. IIRC), custom hand made intake, and stuffed into a late 90's Mustang body.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Figure at least $10k for the engine and another $20k for the rest of the drivetrain/structural strengthening/re-design.

Out of curiousity, what car are you working on/driving now?

Dave

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My coupe is basicly finished, I'm just doing small things here and there on her at the moment. I have plans for it, but nothing much over $600 (per thing, ha).

I just have to get my ducks in a row and be sure on what I want done before I get started on major projects, I spent about a year doing that with my '67, that and I had no money for it, ha.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
As stated, cheapest way to get cubic inches is the 429/460 stroked.

After that, it is easy to stroke a 428 (FE) to 460 cubic inches. Looks great, only about 50 pounds heavier than a 351W IF you use aluminum heads, intake and water pump.

Next is a stroked 351W. Much easier to work on.

A strong 408W will make more power than you can handle on the street.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
68RCodeConv said:
As stated, cheapest way to get cubic inches is the 429/460 stroked.

After that, it is easy to stroke a 428 (FE) to 460 cubic inches. Looks great, only about 50 pounds heavier than a 351W IF you use aluminum heads, intake and water pump.

Next is a stroked 351W. Much easier to work on.

A strong 408W will make more power than you can handle on the street.
I agree!

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,681 Posts
I absolutely agree that the sound of a healthy big block can't be beat. I'm fortunate to have a 390 with a few go fast parts on it and believe me, I never turn on the radio, I just roll down the windows!!
With the introduction of the Pond and Genesis blocks over the past year, you can build a brand new 427 out or aluminum or cast iron that can deliver the power and still have the "wow" factor. Depending on the restraint you show when ordering parts I suspect you could build a nice motor for around $10K.

For inspiration, get a copy of the classic movie "Bullitt" and turn up the volume on the chase scene. That's how my car sounds when you stick your foot into it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome ^_^

I'm trying to figure out where the money all goes on an engine build. If I shop around I see blocks for as low as like $200, they aren't new but still, and even then used 460's I've seen for $500. Stroker kits are about $1200, intake and exhaust runs about $2000, heads $1500 or so. Water pump and other stuff, but still. So... what am I missing? Even if I bought a bran new block, I've never managed to get anywhere near $10k for an engine build. I've got to be missing something...

I've seen a lot of 460s with EFI out of trucks. I'm not looking to make a super high-rev racing engine, just a big mother that runs well. It seems to be that by far the cheapest way to go is to get a 460 out of a truck, then put a stroker in, new injectors and new chip. I could always upgrade things like the heads and headers on it, even the intake. But if I can get a running 460 with EFI for about $1000, why not? Putting in the stroker kit basicly rebuilds the whole thing...

hmm, I think I'm on to something. To the bat cave!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I've love for it to see the track
Well, with a BB steering the car, you can forget about this... Big Block cars aren't usually "nimble".

It'll do great on the strip, right up until the time you rip the leaf springs off of the framerails.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just go with a 302 and burn a "BB Rumble" CD to pop into the head unit?

Your best bet is to do what I do. Keep searching eBay for the "dreamer" that built an awesome motor for a car he "was going to buy", but then decided to sell the motor because he needs the money for the latest video game operating system and Harry Potter memorabilia. These engines are everywhere.... it's a car builders dream to pick these engines up for pennies on the dollar.

Good Luck!

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts