Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine specs are in my sig. My goal is to have a street strip car with either a 393 or a 408 stroker. Right now my heads are the stock 69 351 4v heads. I don't have the money to do all the mods i want to do at once and I'm much to impatient to wait until i have it all together. So my question is should i home port my stock heads and put in the stroker for now and when i get more money buy some Vic jr heads. Or should i buy the after market heads and install them, then later when i have more money get the stroker kit. I know that the heads will effect my bottom end power, but how bad? My bottom end isn't that great now. My stall is listed between 2400 and 2800 rpm. The car only gets driven in the summer maybe about 700 miles a year. Any thoughts would be apreciated Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If you get heads now (assuming your shortblock is in good shape) you may find that you don't need a stroker. I don't think quality aftermarket heads will hurt your low end, I would wager you will see and increase in power across the whole powerband. The down side is your doing alot of redundant work, if you upgrade to a stroker later.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
That's a lot of cylinder head for your current setup. The spring package on the Vic Jr is good to .650 lift for one thing. That may overwhelm your current cam.

If you decide to get the heads first, you might consider a cam change at the same time.

As Bill says, with the right parts, you may find satisfaction in just a head and cam change without the expense of the stroker.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The new smaller valve AFR heads really Kick A$$. The smaller valved Brodix heads are great too. I went with those. Both heads have the CFMs that rival the large valve heads. Couple the CFMs with the smaller valves... can you spell TORQUE?? http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=408669&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

If it's mainly a street car, you may not want a stroker. If you want drivability and toeque a built would be a fairly economical choice. Torque is king on the street. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/06/afrinstall/index.shtml

1 - 5 of 5 Posts