Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my car it had a good running '68 302 and a C4 that would not go into 3rd. I pulled the engine and have had it on a stand, and completely rebuilt the C4.
I have purchased a 302 crate short block and will be purchasing aftermarket heads etc. in the coming months. I am also considering putting in a 5-speed and do not want the current auto to influence my final engine decision, but I do not have the funds for the 5-speed swap at the moment.

I am considering cleaning up and repainting the old 302 and putting it back in the car until I am sure what I am going to do with the final engine/transmission combo. The engine ran fine before I pulled it, but I did not plan on re-using it and I did not prep it for storage. It has been kept in a weather tight garage so it has not been exposed to any elements.

Question:

What checks can I perform on a stored engine to see if it is any good (compression, visual inspection, etc.)

What should I look for and and advice/tips on making sure it is worth the effort before I put it back in?

Thanks for the help -

SG

·
Registered
586 Posts
how long has it been left to sit? I would pull the spark plugs and try to look into the cylinder bores and it you can see rust. if the oil dripped down it is a possibillity. second how cold has it gotten since it has been pulled? if it has dropped below freezing point there is a chance that the rigs froze to the bore.

my suggestion is do and extensive visual. if all looks good try pulling all the plugs and turning the engin over by hand or with a drill. if all that goes well I would try to start it up.
just my 2 cents

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the Dance

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My garage is attached to my house - so it hasn't frozen. The engine does turn over with a socket and breakover - but it is tight. Visual inspection through spark plug holes shows no rust.....

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You didn't mention how long it has been sitting. That's a good thing to know.

Did you remove the spark plugs prior to turning it with the breaker?

I'm not sure what freezing temperature has to do with it, but I sure wouldn't try to start it without a proper engine stand. :eek:

I would probably pull the pan and check out the bearing condition, but that's just me. Be sure to look at the freeze plugs. They are a lot easier to replace now than later. Don't know how long you plan on using the old engine, but I'd probably pull it down and check everything out. Yeah, I'm kind of radical that way.

On the other hand, it only takes an afternoon to pull the thing back out if you aren't happy with it... Just depends on how you want to go about it. If it's only set for a few years, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's been sitting >10 years, you might need to do a more complete diagnosis of condition. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts