Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 289 to put in my 1965. It is a C code that someone had put a 6 cyl in. I got contacted by a guy who tells me he has either a 1964 289 with 65,000 out of a falcon or a 1966 K code(271 HP) for $400 either one. He said the K code had some piston slap when he took it out and would need bored and the 64 was a solid motor. Which would be a better choice?

Also, what all will I need to change on my current setup to get a 289 put back in? It's got a cyl, not sure of the year but it looks like a newer model. Would I probably just need to change the bell housing and converter? How can I tell?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you want to remanufacture one of those engines, or just put it in?
I`d do it once and right. You better buy a professionally rebuild engine.
You never know what you get if you buy a used engine, mostly it is a waist of money and time.

For instance "Proformance Unlimited" offer some real nice 289.

Greetz from Germany,

Dan :wave:

·
Premium Member
13,179 Posts
if it is complete then no contest, take the hipo motor and have a competent machine shop with vintage Mustang experience overhaul it.

your suspension (& brakes in my opinion) will need ungrading.

Z.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
+1..... If it's really a Hipo? Buy it! You could easily sell, or trade that engine, for a brand new small block......

Just my .02 Sense

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the guy says it is a HiPo. He also says he has a 4 barrel aluminum intake that says Ford on it he says he thinks came on the motor. I'm sending my nephew to check it all out. He is pretty savvy on engines plus I've tried to tell him what to look for like screw in studs, crank counter weight 7/8th rod bolts and thicker caps. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
1964 289 with 65,000 out of a falcon : 64 Falcon's came with a 260 and only 164 hp

1966 K code(271 HP): this is a steal, go for it!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I got contacted by a guy who tells me he has either a 1964 289 with 65,000 out of a falcon or a 1966 K code(271 HP) for $400 either one.Thanks
Doubt very much the Hipo is a real one considering they routinely sell between 5-10 grand.
If it is real grab it fast

mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey,

You doing a rebuild or out-sourcing it? Cause you know shops charge more when they see the Hi-Po...haha....Whatever you decide...always do it right the first time the way you want it.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
some people dont pay attention to the going rate of rare stuff like a hipo engine.
Yup..... Ya never know, till you check it out!.............However, I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've been told, "It has a Boss 302 in it!", and even though they never do... I still check! Same thing seems to apply to the word......... "HIPO", LOL

By the way.... it's 3/8" rod bolts, and tell him to look for the 289 w/ double dots, casting mark, on top of the head, because anyone can install screw in studs. That Ford manifold is probably a '69 casting, but grab it, if he's willing to throw it in.....

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Well the guy says it is a HiPo. He also says he has a 4 barrel aluminum intake that says Ford on it he says he thinks came on the motor. I'm sending my nephew to check it all out. He is pretty savvy on engines plus I've tried to tell him what to look for like screw in studs, crank counter weight 7/8th rod bolts and thicker caps. We'll see what happens.
The 63-67 K code came with an iron manifold. Only the 65-67 Shelby version was fitted with a Cobra intake.

A little "piston slap" in a K code engine should not be a problem. Even if it's actual mechanical damage, it's worth more than $400. Of course, with an aluminum intake, the carb is probably gone.

I had a really nasty sound in #4 on mine once, turned out to be a chunk of carbon that broke loose and stuck to the quench part of the head. Bap-bap-bap-bap at idle. Cost me a gasket set to fix.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
With all the hype out there about hipo motors do you really think someone has one for sale for $400. I mean hipo is a language of it's own and anyone having one would at the very least google the word hipo and BOOM they know what there worth. Anyone out there actuaLly heard of someone buying a hipo for like $400 OR $500.

·
Premium Member
13,179 Posts
With all the hype out there about hipo motors do you really think someone has one for sale for $400............"
I'd bet you are not a dream killer, but you are coming acoss as cynical.

yes it happens, unfortunately it hasn't happens to me.

Z.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
What are the chances this ends up being a Boss 289 with Bow Tie heads? lol

·
7,009 Posts
If it was a k code, (which is like 1000 to one), you'd be better off buying it, selling it, and using the proceeds to build a nice stroker motor.

You'd end up with a "free" engine that would make way more power and torque than a hypo would AND you'd get some guy that had a original K-car in search of a motor a part that would make his car worth a lot more.

Hypo's are expensive because they are rare as hen's teeth. They aren't expensive because they are the "be all end all" for Ford SBF performance. 46 years later, you can make more power, easily, without the original high-dollar k engines.

Phil

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm looking for a 289 to put in my 1965. It is a C code that someone had put a 6 cyl in. I got contacted by a guy who tells me he has either a 1964 289 with 65,000 out of a falcon or a 1966 K code(271 HP) for $400 either one. He said the K code had some piston slap when he took it out and would need bored and the 64 was a solid motor. Which would be a better choice?

Also, what all will I need to change on my current setup to get a 289 put back in? It's got a cyl, not sure of the year but it looks like a newer model. Would I probably just need to change the bell housing and converter? How can I tell?

Thanks
Nice looking car first off.. and my car has a 289 C in it and that is all I need for it.. I would go for the 289 myself.. and as for what you would need to do to convert to a V8 from a 6 well.. I think I will leave that to the tech smart ones here.. just know you have a sweet looking car and I think you will be happy with a 289...:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts