Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 A code conv
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew impatient when searching old threads so decided to ask the question….

anyone have any engine bay/belly cleaning tips and especially PRODUCT recommendations?

I’ve got Jurassic period oil grime crust on my block and belly. Any magic in a bottle out there? Or is this still simply a game of wearing throw away clothes and laying under it with a power washer in hand?

how about gunk gel and foam? Any others?

thanks, J

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Warm the engine and spray the whole thing with a bottle of Simple Green. Let it sit for a half hour or so, get your regular garden sprayer and hose it off, except the carb throat, distributor cap, or directly into the alternator. You can cover those with foil or plastic wrap. Be amazed.

Reactions: sotexyellow

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
My favorite go to is Gunk.

·
Registered
41,520 Posts
I've had good success with Purple Power diluted 1:1, sprayed on in 2-3 "coats" over 5 minutes or so, left on for 15-20 minutes and washed off with my pressure washer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Simple Green soaking overnight. Cold engine. Wear a mask when spraying, particularly if misting. May have to use elbow grease to let it penetrate the caked-on stuff and get the out of the way places.

Don't breathe it. It'll clean your lungs too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've actually had good luck with the O'Reilly house-brand foaming cleaner, the one that looks like shaving cream.

Have used it on every hill-billy engine rebuild I've ever done, no experience with the motor in the car unfortunately AND I cover that ×%$# I mean.... I. COVER. THAT. *&%$#. 😆

It'll look like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man banged your block 😆😅🤣

·
Registered
117 Posts
Warm the engine and spray the whole thing with a bottle of Simple Green. Let it sit for a half hour or so, get your regular garden sprayer and hose it off, except the carb throat, distributor cap, or directly into the alternator. You can cover those with foil or plastic wrap. Be amazed.
Avoid simplegreen if you have aluminum parts as it'll corrode them pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe | 302 | E-Style
169 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dawn also makes a degreaser, sold at Lowes, etc. Spray on, brush, rinse. In short, there are a lot of options. The important thing is to keep your distributor, carb and alternator dry. Cover them with a plastic grocery bag or trash bag.

·
Registered
66 A code conv
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've actually had good luck with the O'Reilly house-brand foaming cleaner, the one that looks like shaving cream.

Have used it on every hill-billy engine rebuild I've ever done, no experience with the motor in the car unfortunately AND I cover that ×%$# I mean.... I. COVER. THAT. *&%$#. 😆

It'll look like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man banged your block 😆😅🤣
Now that’s a funny mental image!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts