Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I find the engine code on a 289? The engine tag by the eng. coil is long gone... Are there any other places to look? Just tyring to get some information for personal records. What year is was built etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
If the engine is in a car, the code is the 5th digit of the VIN.

If the engine is not original, or not in a car, you can't really tell. There is a casting number near where the starter mounts that will tell you the date. If the accessories are still on it, you will have good clues as to whether it is a 2V, 4V, Hi-Po, etc.

If you can post some pictures of it, members of this forum will be able to tell you quite a bit...

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is not original. I looked on the intake manifold and found some numbers, they really don't make any sense to me, but I know that people with more knowledge will make sense of it. C8ZE-9425-A the last letter I could not make out really well because it is under the carb I didn't take the carb off because I am lazy. Also another number near water pump F22. In front of the F is what looks like a backwards B. Not really sure if any of this helps. I do have pics and will post when I figure out how.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts