Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tossed this coin so many times Ive worn Washingtons face right off of it.

The engine going in my 67 is black, I think that I want it blue.

I bought the blue paint.

Im putting on black aluminum finned valve covers and the 21x10 black oval air cleaner.

The black paint on the engine is really nice, the oem exhaust manifolds are rust free and coated with cast high temp paint, it looks great and would look great in a 65.

I dont know that I want to go to all the trouble to change the engine color. Once the aircleaner and fan shroud are on, how much of the engine do you see anyway?

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
35,475 Posts
It's all up to you. If you give it a good scrub-down with some sudsy Dawn dish soap and water and then dry it well you may find you can paint right over the black.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
If you don’t do it now, it’s gonna bug you when it’s all back together. Blue looks better and is correct....

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I painted the WP black this morning after a 2 day fiasco looking for the correct bolts. I learned from my past mistake and found one bolt hole in the timing cover that will not hold tension before I slathered up both sides of the gasket. The bolt hole in question has plenty of room for a nut, so thats not an issue. It had a nut on it when I removed the old WP, so Im guessing it was stripped trying to get tension on the Eaton PS pump adjuster.

So black it stays.

It took me many years to learn that if there is something I dont like on an old car, I just dont look at it. Thats a pretty low cost and easy way to fix cosmetic issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts