Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to hide the engine compartment wiring by running it under the fender, what is the best sheathing material or conduit to protect the wires in that harsh environment? Thx, John

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have done it in the past. No need to go crazy protecting the wires. Some good factory style wrap and secure it good. Make sure it won't hold water or contact wheel or suspension parts. You will have the ability to inspect it. Trucks run wires exposed in the frame rails from the factory.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I used dishwasher drain hose, under both front fenders.
The hose gives excellent protection from water ingression and stone damage It was sealed at exit and entry points through rubber gommets.
The diameter, about an inch, had enough room for all the required wires plus a couple of extra's for unforseen needs.
Hose clamped using fender mounting bolts

Exit through splash shield rubber grommet

Exit from cabin right side behind splash shield, also with grommet.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,399 Posts
I use the split loom plastic stuff. Mostly because I filled a bag with it at a junkyard one day. GM's have some slick Tee's and such on some of them. Cadillacs are good donors. Yard guy looked at me funny and charged me a whole three dollars. I still have a big box of it. One reason I like the split stuff is that I bet I've had that run I made under the driver's fender open ten times for changing and adding stuff and I'm not done either. Now at some point I may stop and carve my wiring layout in stone (doubtful). If/when I do then Techflex makes some nice stuff. The finer the mesh, the easier it it to clean. Sooner or later the underfender is going to get the mud slung up in there. The looser mesh is kind of a pain if it gets dirty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like using the TechFlex split loop as well and also use the Tesa tape shown above.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,168 Posts
I prefer the split sleeve braided. Looks seamless but you can easily open it to make repairs or branch off.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll probably use the TechFlex, although that dish washer drain looks interesting.

·
Super Moderator
10,754 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,754 Posts

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
I'm going to use 1/2" water tight flexible conduit and the fittings. I'll wrap it in 1" heat shrink. A buddy on another forum did this on his '69 and it looks very neat.

I'm using the AAW harness and I'm in process to patch the stock square hole in the firewall. I'll run the new conduit inside the inner fender and clamp it to the shock tower braces.

nate

·
Super Moderator
10,754 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to use 1/2" water tight flexible conduit and the fittings. I'll wrap it in 1" heat shrink. A buddy on another forum did this on his '69 and it looks very neat.

I'm using the AAW harness and I'm in process to patch the stock square hole in the firewall. I'll run the new conduit inside the inner fender and clamp it to the shock tower braces.

nate
Is that water tight flexible conduit an automotive product? That is what I'm looking for. I have a bunch of the F6 split loom, but I need something better to keep the elements away from the wiring. I have the AAW Classic Update harness.
One thing I like about it, it comes with the horn and headlight relays pre-wired and they mount next to the fuse block.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Is that water tight flexible conduit an automotive product? That is what I'm looking for. I have a bunch of the F6 split loom, but I need something better to keep the elements away from the wiring. I have the AAW Classic Update harness.
One thing I like about it, it comes with the horn and headlight relays pre-wired and they mount next to the fuse block.
I'm going to assume he means the Industrial wiring product "liquid-tite" or "seal-tite":

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I don't think you have to go nuts. For stuff that won't be seen at all (like the headlight wires or wires out to the back of the car), the inexpensive split plastic loom will outlast the you and the car. It's not like you'll be driving on gravel roads or daily driving the car 50k miles a year.

I like the look of that TechFlex wire loom...I'll be looking into that for my build when the time comes.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dan, www.wirecare.com has all sizes of the F6 TechFlex, but sometimes Amazon has it a little cheaper.

Reactions: Rowdy
1 - 20 of 22 Posts