Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to seal the engine compartment off from the air filter in the cowled hood. I was thinking on using a polyurethane foam for the seal. the temp range is -20 to +240 F. Would you think that it would see any higher temp than +240 under the hood? Any sugestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I can't imagine the hood/cowling temps getting anywhere near 240 Deg F. If they did, you would be flashing steam off your hood during a rain storm.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Stephanie, the fast driving ensures a cool flow of air across the hood, so he is really doing a good thing there!!!

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shush, we need the gas money for my car! (he's gonna be mad I hijacked his thread)
Tiggermom, look at my avatar LOL. You cant upset me, the Doctor took my blood pressure and it was 117 / 75 I feel great ::

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
On a hot day in Tulare you'll see underhood temps in the low 200's - Why not try the poly foam and see ? If it turns out to be unsuitable you can retrofit with a silicone-rubber foam seal.

Are you making the seal yourself ? Save the template just in case.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, the only Silicone foam rubber I found thick enough is $450.00 for a 24 x 24 sheet :eek: :p. But it is rated for 450 deg. F
The other is $14.00

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL :: ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Dave, I'm with Cosmo. The under hood temps, on a hot day can easily get to 200* farenheit, but shouldn't get much more than that. Why do I know?

A few years ago, I bought this "really neat" set of gauges from Harbor Freight for a "really good" price. Stupid me, of course, has to wire them all in with all my custom made under hood wiring harnesses, and get them all put into the conduit, before realizing what "really neat gauges for a really good price" are. :eek: The amp gauge died within a month, and I've NEVER been able to find a way to mount the ENORMOUS water temp probe in the intake. So I have this probe under my hood, and the gauge just shows me the ambient temperature under the hood. I've never seen it go above 200, but have seen it at 200. Oh, BTW, the "really neat" oil pressure gauge still works ::

1 - 13 of 13 Posts