Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to paint a engine compartment how should i take the old paint off should i prime and can i use a aersol can to apply paint i just want to use a black paint that will be really really shiny whats the best color black paint???

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
An aerosol will be fine for the painting of the engine compartment. Just go to your local Sherwin Willliams paint store, or comparable custom body shop and have them mix you up a glossy black in a 12 oz (or so) can.

The way I removed the paint from the engine compartment is by hand-sanding... That's the best way. I hand-sanded, then primed it with Krylon, and then went to my paint store and had the most glossy black mixed up... Looks beautiful now.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should i try to get all of the old paint off like down to bare metal what kind of grit sand papaer should i use

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Yeah, you want to get down very far into the metal. I brought the engine compartment down to the point where it was shiny silver, then primed it (LIGHT coat) and then shot it with gloss black.

Use a fairly fine grit... I used 70 grit first, and it turned out bad... Then I went to 3M's 110 grit, and it worked much better.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Nahh it's not that bad... It's very fine, and is a long job. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to sand down my engine compartment (and 2 bloody knuckles) buit it was WELL worth the effort... Its the best lookin' engine compartment I've seen on a lot of Stangs.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
BAH... I suppose you could do that, but you wouldn't get the same feeling.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Semigloss black (NOT semi-flat) should be the color. Unless you are going to use a paint that is fuel and oil resistant, I would be hesitant on taking it down to bare metal. Use a scotch bright pad and 0000 steel wool. Use a tack cloth before any painting. Gloss paint, other than being incorrect, will readily slow any wrinkles, dirt, grime, and chewing gum that was either there when you painted it or came along later.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I thought the idea WAS to use anti-corrosive paint? I did...

I neglected to mention the anti-static tack cloth, my bad =)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
When I did my engine compartment, I sandblasted it. I took everything out and what was left that I didn't want blasted, I masked off. Then I primed and painted. It turned out pretty good. I have a couple of places to touch up, when I put the engine in.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take it down to bare metal (sanding or some other method), have it primed with an epoxy primer, block the epoxy primer, shoot it with regular primer, block the primer and then shoot it with a chasis black paint (semi-gloss). The crap in spray cans just does not hold up and you will be doing it over and over and will never get a good professional looking job with it.

1970 Mach 1, soon to be finished, 351 4V, Calypso Coral, top loader

1 - 13 of 13 Posts