Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering a complete engine swap.
My Mustang has no history, no drivers door ID plate.
Plus I may never sell it.

So, I was considering a complete remod.
My dilema is engine type.
I posted last night about finding a Boss 302.
I was told they are a hard find and expensive to find repair parts. VERY EXPENSIVE.

So, I was wondering. Would a 351 cleveland be a better and cheaper engine to find and repair. I know the engine may be more initially, but are the parts difficult to find?

What are the VMF collective thoughts on this.

Thanks

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Go to the nearest bone yard and get a 5.0 L

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200
http://www.dallas.net/~jjmsansc/parts/Stangs.jpg

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Stuffing a cleveland into a 65 could be challenging. A windsor is a tight fit. I agree with the previous post, find a nice 5.0L and put in. You won't be disappointed.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I go the 5.0L route, will that engine bolt in on new mounts with no other compartment modifications?

Not sure about 5.0 L motors, would be a learning experience.

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jimbo65 on 03/21/01 11:02 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If you're considering an I6 to V8 engine swap take a gander at Jerry's (a65ragtop) VMF FAQ site.

http://www.geocities.com/a65ragtop/VM_FAQ

The 6 to 8 swap is a little more involve than just stuffing a V8 into the engine bay.

If you want something that's sure to fit, easy to get parts for, you don't want to notch the shock towers, and is larger than a 302, try a 351W.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
5.0L is a 302 is a 289 as far as engine mount holes in the block. Minor exterior differences but basically the same engine design. All three will fit fine but you must toss the I6 engine mount to frame brackets and get a V8s. Please see my other post.

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMHO I'd go with a 351W, it will fit with no mods (virtual bolt in), cheap (junk yards are full of them), lots of aftermarket parts, good torque and horsepower (can be stroked up to 427ci). Good Luck

67 S-code fastback

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Jim,

Probably the best bang for the buck these days, if you are interested in making gobs of horsepower, has to be the 351W in either stock displacement or stroked configuration. The Boss would have been difficult at best to fit into the 65 engine bay without special headers (there's those expensive parts again) and the 351C is much worse than the Boss...

With the number of Ford Motorsport and aftermarket pieces developed for the late model Windsor family in just the past few years, you can't go wrong with a late model combo. My particular powerplant in project 65 X-tremestang is based on a roller 351W Lightning crate short block (1995). The 351W began receiving roller capability in 1993 meaning, you can run stock 5.0 roller lifters and a roller cam that produces a better cam profile (in my opinion) than the old flat tappet style. Plus you have reduced friction which results in even more horsepower.

The aftermarket explosion on aluminum head technology for the Windsor has produced Windsor engines easily capable of well over 400 horsepower on 92 octane gas and very streetable. I am sure Pat (camachinist) and some of the other "Windsor freaks" will expound on this, but you definitely can't go wrong with a late model engine, whether the 5.0 or 5.8....

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/65stang/eng5.jpg

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/65stang/eng4.jpg

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there some sites with more information about the windsor swap?

I just got my '65 Fastback, and was thinking about doing an engine swap maybe next winter when I'm bored off my ass in Ohio with nothing to do but spend time doing mods to the car.

'00 Mercury Cougar - Hunk of Sh*t (Anyone wanna buy it? come on you know you want to)

'65 Mustang Fastback (my first Muscle Car, give me some slack I'm 19 and dumb enough to try to get into fixing up an old car)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The windsor sounds great. That may be the route for me.

I know about some of the 6 to 8 swap problems. I am still researching this possibility.

I do want more horsepower and I am currently replacing the suspension. So I need to know the engine coming in so I can build out the suspension accordingly. Right now I am at new Total Control arms, springs, 9" rear, used spindles on the front, poly bushings, disc kit on front and new wheels all around.

I think the 351W will be just fine atop this setup.

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
5.0 and 5.0L are the same thing. The L just stands for liters....

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
376 Posts
I replaced the overheating 289 in my 66 with an 85 5.0L roller cam engine out of an 85 GT. Put a Comp Cam, Performer intake with Edelbrock 1406 and headers in the 289's place. I've been very satisfied with the power increase. Can't go wrong with 5.0L or 5.8L.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Personally I'd go with a Windsor motor. The Cleveland family was only made for 4 years (unless you count the 400 and the 351M) and parts are scarce. They don't mount easily in the 65 chassis and the ENORMOUS amount of 5.0/Windsor speed parts available now makes things easy. In theory the Cleveland heads are a better design, but the new aftermarket heads blow those old designs away.... on pump gas. Personaly I'm going with a 351W for my 65.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am planning an identical swap. I have some questions:

1. Serpentine or v-belt?
2. Header manufacturer (part number) type? Stage 8 bolts?
3. Aftermarket heads?
4. Fuel pump? Externally mounted or internally (gas tank) mounted?

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

'67 GTA (clone) coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't get a Clevland, you will just run into many problems. I say this with experience!!! Stay with a Windsor!! Good luck!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got a 66 coupe with a V8 conversion. Due to the space in the engine compartment, I was unable to install a 302 or 351 with headers. Instead, I got a 289 and had it bored out, using 302 heads, etc. The engine puts out around 340hp.

Hope this helps

John

'66 coupe restomod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts