Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been here in some time after my last engine hit the crapper. Somehow, working 2 jobs, going to school and raising a family required me to put the car on the back burner. I love my kids but the greatest feeling in the world was yesterday when I had 2 hours to clean out the garage, pull out the mustang and the charger in the tropical 63 degree weather we had in Central Illinois.

Here is my question. Would altering the deck on only the heads creat a gap on the intake manifold allowing coolant to leak?

Last time I had the engine apart, I had the heads rebuilt. The heads were decked to give it a straight surface. The block had been done after the first rebuild so it was still fairly straight. I had some pretty severe colling issues with a 2 row radiator causing the head gaskets to go this last turn around. I already know I need to upgrade the radiator to a 3 row.

I am in the process of pulling the entire engine and having it done by a reputable machinist here in town. He does excellent work. I just do not have the time to do it and do not want to see the car sit another year.

I am glad to be back. The topics have looked interesting and I look forward to being here again.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Easy way to check is to drop manifold onto gaskets without the end gaskets and see what the clearance is. Usually, the end gaskets will squeeze out if the clearance is too little.

I usually cut the end gasket surfaces if the total material removal (block and heads)is over .062", which is rare except for mods to raise compression. SBF's are pretty forgiving in this area, IME. Block material removal is usually the motivation.

I've never had a leak caused by this issue...

Pat

1 - 2 of 2 Posts