Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow will be 5 months since I made the down payment and began sourcing (along with the builder) all the parts.

A few things changed along the way and I added some of those "while I'm at it" type of items (4 core, electric fan, X pipe, sub-frame connectors etc.).

I'm out of town, but pick it up tomorrow and have a date with the dyno Friday.

I'll post the numbers friday night. ( I'm looking for 325 at the rear wheels.)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am by no means an engine expert, but I gotta ask. Your post lead me to believe that this is a new engine. Are you going to have enought time to break the engine in before dynoing it?

I ask because I know someone who dynoed a new modern engine & drag raced about 3 days and 150 miles after getting it. He posted the results and drag times all over the 'net cause he was unhappy with the results. The tuner (late model Mustang ~ that's all I'll say) sent him a letter saying "we found your posts, you didn't break in the engine before this warrenty sez blah blah blah. This is notice that your warrenty is void." He looked it up and it did say right in the Owners Manual that Wide Open Throttle before 1000 miles (or maybe 500 I forget) voids ALL powertrain warrentees.

Does the gentle break in until 1000+ miles only apply to newer more modern engines? I'm going to be rebuilding an old engine in the next few years and would like to know.

SprintCC

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Assuming a 15% loss thru the drive train (normal expectation I've been told) then you'll be making close to 385 HP at the flywheel. Look forward to your posting the results and details on the build-up. Good luck

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a "new" rebuild. The builder is the one who set up the dyno and backs the warranty.

He said he is breaking it intoday and tomorrow before the pulls.

If he is satisifed, then so am I. He says that when he builds a drag engine, he gives them a brief break-in and then takes them to the track and "tries to break them".

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it is a clevor.

It has an AIR GAP RPM instead of the usual street boss or track boss intake. This was accomplished by having a special adaptor built for the intake (bolt patterns are different for Cleveland and Windsor). I plan to post some pictures of the adaptor/intake in the next few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts