Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently finished installing rebuilt 302 in my 68 FB. Put in new motor mounts and one was really wrong and the engine tilted to one side. Pulled the mounts and confirmed they were different. After two attemps by the engine builder, got a different set of mounts and, with the help of my oldest son who was visiting, got them in. Still a little tilt but I can live with it for now. Last Friday, got the car ready for a car show. As I am cleaning up the engine, notice the tilt of my new chrome air breather is more noticible than I thought. No time to stick a few washers under the motor mount to level the engine. Decide I will shim breather with something at the show. The seam on the filter is showing so I rotate the base and filter and damn, I'm level! Don't get me wrong, before the new mounts, the engine definitely had a real tilt, but that chrome breather's base has a bit of a warp to it. Just in case this happens to you. Mark

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thanks Mark! I felt like I was having a case of Deja Vu reading your post! I'm going to go check right now!! (recent rebuild on a 302 in a 68 Fastback!)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Mark,

Check out the Drive Train section on my site below. I discovered a good way to "straighten" a tilted engine. Look for the motor mount paragraph.

Scott

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott,
Fascinating "trip" with your convertible. Loved the solution for your motor mounts. Had the same car a couple of years ago, 70 convertible, 351 W with 4 speed top loader in bright blue metallic and white interior. Great car, kind of wished I'd kept it but got an offer too good to pass up (and all the work was done). Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts