Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the plugs and # 8 was Black were as the others were a light brown. I ran a compression test and it was good. So Russ my be right when the push rod snapped it did damage to the valve guide causing oil to pass into the cylinder? If so I guess Ill be pulling it apart again. Any Idea on a cost to fix the valve guide? I going to try not to get ripped off. If you guys have any other Ideas that could cause this problem Please let me know. One thing I did find when pulling the plugs was that plugs 1,2,3 and 4 were all loose and had not been tightened. I guess the expert I payed to help me slipped!
Thanks for all your help
Paul
67 prostreet coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1606258

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does the engine miss out? If it is just wet, you could try moving the plug to another cylinder and see if the next plug fouls. I have had bad plugs right out of the box. It could also be a plug wire. By all means, try all roads before pulling the engine apart. If compression is close to the other cylinders, it does not sound like a valve got bent. Hopefully, it is something simple.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No miss it ran like a BEAST. Well to make a long story short, its blowing smoke. It didnt when the pushrod (snaped neatly in two) and lifter were laying under the manifold??? Which is why my oil pressure were down. (now great) Thats why I cant figure it out. Why is it smoking? The only thing I can figure is the valve guide flexed and snapped messing up the valve guide. And now that its using the valve again its letting oil into the cylinder. I dont know someone here will know thw answer they always have!
Thanks Paul
PS it ran great! Looked like it was on fire, but ran great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts