Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put the timing light on the 351W. It runs very nicely at 10 degrees BTC. When I replace the vacuum line from the carburator (Edelbrock 1406), the engine just dies. It does not matter if I use ported or direct vacuum, the same thing happens. Also, I'm getting very little adjustment from the idle mixture screws. All the way in or a long way out - I get little change in how it runs. I'm stumped! Help, please. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you gotta vacuum leak somewhere. I had same the problem,.,,,wait, still do /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

oh, and give more details on the ignition setup that your running.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
dude that starter spray they sell at pep-boys and kregans(i hate the local people that work at kregans on el camino they are rude and stupid Donkeys) well if you use that stuff it helps to find vac leaks easier and cleaner too the spray leaves no residue and makes it rex higher than wd-40 witch helps you notice better.well just spray lightly around the intake gaskets,carb to intake and or car spacer gaskets. SLOWLY and with one of those red straw spray extentions. ohh and dont forget the vaccum tree behind the carberator plug up and unused ones if you dont have any extra plugs then loop'em by gettig some extra tubing you got and connect it to another unused one on the tree,then go by some vac plugs(temp. use only is to plug up on with a little bit of tube and a old drill bit or golf pensil
one q. why do you have a vac line running to the carb anyused should be pluged and if its going to something...like a vac advance then make sure its a right size(ford kdv-2 is for vac advance and most vac unless its kdv3 buy 2 feet of kdv-2 and a foot of kdv-3 for any vasc line needs(sorry this is so long i had a lot of idle problems till i fixed the vac crap and on a 73 theres alot alot of emmision vac crap)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
the vacuum module on my 289 is adjustable. you can put an allen key into the where you plug the vacuum line into the advance module. turn it one way and the advance comes in with less vacuum, the other way and it takes more vacuum. A couple of turns makes a real difference.

There is also a set of springs inside the distributor that hold back the mechanical advance. make sure there still intalled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts