Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over last few months my engine build has been coming together.

1969 351w block that has now been bored over so 4.030 ie now a 357w stock crankshaft, and rods w/ upgraded Arp bolts.

A Victor Jr. Intake, Flat top forged Wiseco Pistons(7cc valve reliefs), AFR 205 heads with the 58cc compression. A roller cam conversion using lifter bars, with 272/280 duration and 549/565 lift
.50 Duration is 221/229

(I wanted some vacuum/good idle so not crazy here) with 1.7 roller rockers.

Compression is being estimated on Summit 's calculator at 10.47 When all the numbers are plugged in.

Going into a nice set of long tube headers.
With a decent tune what do you think I'll hit on the dyno?
Crank and the rear wheel.

It is going into a stage 2 Wide Ratio AOD with a 2600 stall and finishing up in a Ford 9in rear end.

This is actually in a 1969 Mercury Cougar so not actually a Mustang but a close cousin.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
RTHarp, what are those heads supposed to flow @ .600 lift. We can calculate fromt there. LSG

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
460 Crank, 395 Wheel

·
Registered
207 Posts
I’d go more lift.

if they advertise 550... probably it’s best round performance for them to choose that to advertise. So even with the duration you do have, the heads will only be flowing their max potential in a short window. More lift and you’d over reach the heads potential but they’d flow their max for more degrees of valve train rotation.

cam - 450, 500, 550, 575 600, 625, 600 575 550 ..... as that valve keeps raising its still flowing the heads max all of that rotation. It’s better than more duration for many reasons within reason... corse maybe more valve train ware... but who cares.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
This is a good recipe for a 351w build. I don't think you're far off but I do think you'd need more cam to hit that mark, hence my guesses above.

Reactions: Broke

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree it could use more lift BUT I'm WAY over-budget already. The AFR's have the stock springs, the pistons after getting the deck milled are peeping out of the block a wee tad too and I wanted some streetbility as this will be driven a lot. Hence decent idle/vacuum.

Someday say a few years from now I'll either change out the heads for lower compression and a turbo or go 408 stroker/bigger cam.

I did get a deal on the heads/ intake that I couldn't pass up. Now I'll have some room to grow some more eventually.

At this point I want to stop the money outflow for awhile and just enjoy the car.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Allen
I would guess this is closer to what you will get. That cam is smaller at .050 than what I have in my 306 which will limit the peak horsepower rpm. However, those are really good heads and might crutch it a bit. Probably an air gap would fit better with the rpm you'll get out of it but should still be very driveable.

You do know those heads have raised exhaust ports, right? Luckily in that year of Cougar with a windsor you should have enough room to make them fit.

Let us know how it runs when you get it going! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Rtharp, what rpm are you willing to spin this to ? Your heads flow enough to support 650, but there is more to it than that. I'm going to guess low to mid 400hp at the crank with that cam. You could broaden the torque curve by choosing a cam with a bit more lift, and a wider spread. You would want to advance just the exhaust lobe, to reduce overlap. This gives a better idle and low rpm performance. Most cams sold today are intended to appeal to young guys who want a choppy idle, because they think it sounds cool. You can do better, and get better driveability, with a wider grind. LSG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found an online dyno for engines that are overhead single cam ,n/a ie me. Gofastmath.com

Plugging in all the numbers it asked I noticed it hit the nail on the head when it calculated compression.

When I finished all the inputs, It gave me my total at 463 hp at 6271 rpm.

As an experiment I looked up the next size bigger cam to see what it do. I got 485 at 6559 rpm.

That cam did though put me in the red area on lift with my spring rating so I either have to go custom cam and/or upgrade the springs and I'm already in the way over budget zone

Anyone else use that website? It's probably needs it's own thread though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a this set up in my 69 cougar. An edlebrock performer intake, comp cams XR282RF, 282/289 duration, .513/.526 lift, .230/236 duration at .050, AFR 185 heads, FPA long tube headers
It dyno'd 319 at the wheels, calc 398 at crank,

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
I found an online dyno for engines that are overhead single cam ,n/a ie me. Gofastmath.com

Plugging in all the numbers it asked I noticed it hit the nail on the head when it calculated compression.

When I finished all the inputs, It gave me my total at 463 hp at 6271 rpm.
View attachment 751854

As an experiment I looked up the next size bigger cam to see what it do. I got 485 at 6559 rpm.

That cam did though put me in the red area on lift with my spring rating so I either have to go custom cam and/or upgrade the springs and I'm already in the way over budget zone

Anyone else use that website? It's probably needs it's own thread though.
I poked my specs into that calculator ,It seems a little optimistic

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran several combinations. Based on that calculator head flow and the type of intake is much more important than compression and cam. There was not much difference between cams from 212 to 230 degree intake duration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts