Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally I was going to rebuild my 289, but now I'm leaning toward (OK, I've convinced myself that I cannot live without the 5.0) a 5.0 roller motor.I'm still building my motor "In my mind" for my '66. Here's what I've got going on in reality. I have a 4:11 posi, T-5 with the 2.95 1st gear and I think the final is .60 Also setting on the shelf is a set of Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads. Now, back to what I'm thinking about doing. I'm going to go with a set of Keith Black Hyperutectic 10:1 pistons, since I have the aluminum heads and I can get away with the higher compression. My original thought was the Edelbrock Performer RPM cam (in the 289) and intake (AirGap) since I really like the torque range it offers, but now that I'm planning on a roller motor, I'm looking at the TF Track Heat Camshaft 51402000. Still planning on the RPM AirGap though. See specs here: http://www.trickflow.com/product/prfeature_index.htm And click on technical specs. Now I'm not seeking a fire breathing dragon here, just a good strong street motor that I can drive without it requiring high RPM's to stay in the power band. I'm thinking about the highway RPM's in 5th gear. That 4:11 becomes a 2.46, so I don't want too high of a torque curve.
Oh, yea, I almost forgot. 650 DP, or 600 Vac.??

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Sounds like a impressive engine build, should idle lie a stocker
and still make impressive power. The gears would nice with the overdrive (best of both worlds). Make sure you order pistons that fit the Twisted Wedge valvle configuration. With
the stick shift, I like the 650dp for that engine... p.s. I'm not a engine guru!

·
Registered
19,955 Posts
You should pick up the latest issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords. The have a lot of engine combinatios for different hp levels and also a manifold comparision of 4 manifolds.

What was interesting to me was the fact that they made 400 hp with a Performer 289 manifold! Going to a Air Gap, the power jumped to 425 hp. I think I'm going to stick with putting a Performer 289 on the mild motor I'm building for my 66.

My feeling is that a properly set up vacuum carb will run just fine on the street. Dinosawnj's opentrack 66 fb has a healthy 289 that he uses a vacuum Holley and his car see's limited street use!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
With the 4:11's and the other mods, a mechanical secondary, double pumper carb is the way to go! I have a Holley D.P. on my Cougar, with a 392W, Crane hyd. roller cam, air, auto.. Got 16.3 MPG, well mannered carb.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Scott,
The Twisted Wedge Stage 1 cam is a nice cam and very cheap for a roller. A lot of the late model guys run these cams.
You may want to talk to a few people who are running the Air Gap manifold. I have heard mixed reviews. I spoke with the Edelbrock rep at one of the shows and he could not give me a good reason to move to an Air Gap verses the traditional RPM manifold. If looks are the priority then go for the Air Gap, cause they look really cool.

Good Luck,
Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts