Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had my brother install my wire looms, beause I had a lot going on. Come to find out, When he took the "wing-nut" valve cover bolts out, they had a peice of metal shaped like a "V" under them. Well, I just found out, he dropped one or two, and didnt bother putting them back on.... because he didnt think it would hurt anything. Could this be the reason I am hearing my valve train "knock"? I noticed the knock the first time I started it up after the wire looms. Could there be air escaping around the bolts, possible making my pcv valve not function? Or could this be any cause at all for that noise? Thanks in advance........

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Ouch! A loose fastener in the valve train area is not good, as it can drop down into the valve area, and into the cylinders. Stop! Pull the covers, and see if you can find those pesky things. If not, I'd strongly recommend pulling the heads.

Your brother earns the Doofus.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would understand the knock if that, but see, the valve covers were never off, therefore this peice of metal didn't go in the head. These things fell on my garage floor and were laying under the car. I would put them back on, but I am missiong one, so If I need them I will get another, I was just wondering if this could be causeing my knock..... Now that I think about it, take the word Knock, and replace it with "Tap".... its not loud enough to be rod...... but is somthing valve related, if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Are you talking about the things that go between the bolt and the valve cover (load spreaders). If it is, I wouldn't think that would cause any valve train noise. Your valve cover might leak, they keep the valve
cover from crimping.

G

·
0 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT pull the heads! It sounds like you have a lazy lifter and it bled down some, for whatever reason, it's taking a long time to pump back up. If your brother left off a couple of the load spreaders, no air would be getting in around the bolts. If you had the valve covers off, and left one of the spreaders underneath the valve cover, it couldn't get inside a cylinder. Nothing that you have told us that you or your brother did would/should explain your noise. If I had to guess, the noise has probably gone by now. I hope so.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Could this be the reason I am hearing my valve train "knock"?

Pure coincidence....the load spreaders being missing will have no effect on valvetrain.

Monitor the situation and get back to us if it persists...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
perform an oil change and substitue a quart of motor oil with
marvel mystery oil.....

Run enguine at multiple speeds for 10 minutes.....ALOT of the varnish will be cleaned off the lifter bores......rings, oil pump assembly etc....

After the 10 min of running turn car off and change oil and filter with new oil (I like Castrol Syntec)

And your car should rid itself of that lifter ticking.

If the ticking goes away after the car warms up.....then it is a sticky valve.

if it doesn't go away and gets louder as you run the car up hills or acceleration then you have an exhaust leak.

good luck and let us know what happens.

Regards
ROberto

1 - 7 of 7 Posts