·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duration @ .050 = 230

Advertised Duration = 292

Gross Valve Lift = .512"

Lobe Seperation = 110

Is this going to be too much for a mostly stock small block 302? Im going to transfer my headers and intake/carb over to it. If you can think of a better cam, let me know. Thanks......

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Not at all. It should have a mild lope at idle with a power band of about 2000-4500 rpm. Very nice driver.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A good cam for small block Fords is the 270H Magnum cam from Comp Cams. [email protected] is 224, Advertised is 270, and valve lift is .501. Lobe sep=110

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
It likely will sound pretty good...

But do you want to know how it'll run?? *G*

More info required...

Engine C/R; Transmission type and, if auto, converter size/stall speed; rear gear ratio; intake and carb (you have these already but it's good to know anyway); cylinder head type and state of build.

Opinions may vary but personally I prefer dual pattern cams which have a bit more exhaust lift and duration than intake. Your duration @ .050" lifter rise is getting up there with this cam and I would be a bit concerned about it with a low C/R, especially with an automatic.

As a point of comparison, this is a cam similar to the Holman & Moody cam (with the exception of the HM cam being dual pattern) which was integral to the early 289 engines which propelled my race car into the mid-low 11's. With a 12.97:1 C/R, the idle was quite impressive...sounded like a little top fuel engine uncorked....wonderful at 7500 rpm in the lights at 119 mph...

But does this describe your street car and what you want to do with it??

That's the question...*G*

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Pretty hot cam! (IMO)

Should use it with lo gears and a 2500-3000 converter if an automatic... I prefer something with a little more lobe seperation.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Quite a bit of duration for a near stock 302. Pat is right that more info is needed.

My cam has a nice lope to it and works pretty well with my combo. Lobe separation is 114.

The Ford Racing A312 cam 214/224 and .472/.496 lift is a nice improvement for a mild buildup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts