Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the Ford 302 intake manifold I'm installing has the water ports at the rear of the intake blocked off. From the factory that way. Which means there are no water passages in this intake manifold at the rear. The water ports on the intake side of the heads are located at the front and rear, so this means the rear coolant passage on the intake side of the head will not circulate coolant.

The intake is a Ford C60E 9425-B 4-barrel cast intake. The design of that manifold has no provision for a cooling passage at the rear of the manifold.

Will this affect cooling of the heads and circulation of coolant or is it ok to install this manifold???

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The way the factory designed the cooling system was to have the waterpump put the coolant into your engine. It goes into the block then up into the heads and from that point put back into the radiator.There is no need to cool the intake as it does not get as hot as the block and heads. In some performance engines I have seen a hose run from the back water ports to the thermostat housing to get coolant back to radiator faster to cool better at high RPM.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. I'm wondering if restriction of coolant circulation through the rear port in the head to the intake will cause a heat problem in the head. Once the coolant hits that blocked area, circulation is severely restricted.

It may not be a problem, I'm just wanting to make sure its ok to mount that intake. Apparently Ford thought it was ok. Just has me wondering if there SB Ford heads that do not have a rear head/intake cooling passage....

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The only reason that port is in the back of the head is because heads are not right or lefts. So if heads were changed from side to side the port in the back of the left head is on the front of the right head. This make the heads interchangable. You would not want the coolant running from the back of one head to the back of the other head. This would keep the coolant in the engine longer thus making the engine run hotter.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My edelbrock intake doesnt have it either, and it runs cold actually, lol.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Great info guys! :D Thanks for the help. Now I can install the manifold without worry. You always learn something new around here! ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts