Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my engine apart this weekend thanks to SWMBO allowing me the time and it looks like there is sleeves in the cylinders. Was there sleeves installed by the factory or do I have a rebuilt engine? TIA

Darrel

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Never heard of it but Ford did do some strange things. Best thing to do is check gaskets to see if they are stock or after market. If after market then someone has been inside your engine.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I'll assume you noted a parting line between the sleeve and the block at the deck surface....

What engine and reason for disassembly?

Cylinder wall condition and piston size, if available (piston might be marked on top)

What are you planning to do with the engine?

What does the budget look like?

Get back to us....

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have never heard of an engine coming off the assembly line with a sleeve (except for desiel's). IMMHO 99% sure its been rebuilt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, there is a line between the sleeve and the block, I am doing a ground up restro and the engine had leaks at all the seals, engine was in pretty bad shape all rusted on the outside and oil everywhere. The cylinder walls look ok there is a little scoring but not to bad. I tryed to find the piston size but the top of the piston is caked with carbon(SWMBO said no work on the car today it's kids day). All I realy want out of this engine is a little performance upgrade nothing to heavy, more like a Hi-pro. The engine is a stock 289-2V. Also one of my customers who I feed alot of work to offered a rebuilt 302 for $500.00 and he get's my old block. Is this a good deal? Is their major issues with a 302 conversion? I searched this site and got a little info but not to much. TIA

Darrel

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
People have warnings about blocks with 8 sleeves, but none of them have had actual experiences.

Personally, if the block is good otherwise, and the sleeves are installed right, I would give it a shot! A sleeve is actually better material than the block.

When boring a block for a sleeve, there should be a 360 degree "step" at the bottom of the bore that the sleeve should bottom out on when it is pressed in, then the top of the sleeve is machined flat with the block.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Art,

I just looked at the block and they did step the bottom of the bore. So I guess the ball is back in my court on where to go with this. Thanks for the info!

Darrel

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Art,

After going out and checking the engine on my last post I went back out and looked a little closer. I have found that some of the bottom bores between the sleeve and the block are smooth and others have a lip on them like the were not machined deep enough. Whats you thinking on this? Should I take the block down to someone to evaluate?

Darrel

·
Registered
501 Posts
You should be able to take the block in to a machine shop and they can take a quick look. The shop I use charges $50 to clean and magna-flux the block, but can tell you real quick if the block has been bored, sleeved, etc for free.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Also one of my customers who I feed alot of work to offered a rebuilt 302 for $500.00 and he get's my old block. Is this a good deal?

Yes, it's a good deal if the shortblock is rebuilt correctly...remember, you'll likely be doing some head work as well...keep that in mind as far as budget goes.

Is their major issues with a 302 conversion?

No biggie...same engine externally...late model engines can be a bit different (accessories, flexplate, etc) but they mount up the same.

Does your 289 have 6 bolts which hold the bellhousing on? If so, the 302 will bolt up to your trans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts