Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here it goes. A 390 block, with a 427 crank, correct size H-beam rods, to 12:1 pistons. 427 Tunnel Port heads/intake, ported out. A solid flat tappet cam, about .600 lift with 1.7 roller rockers. I would probly try to adapt some fuel injectors into the manifold, with the holley throttle body. Some hooker super comp ceramic coated headers would have to go on there. I would get the whole bottom end of the motor balanced, just for good measure. How well do you guys think that motor would work?

G

·
0 Posts
A regular issue 390 block is going to have a hard time keeping together. I would try to find a late 66 which came with some additional webbing. Some of the early 390's came in a HP version which had the webbing as well as other performance upgrades such as oil relief valves and enlarged oil galleries. These blocks were in 61 and 62's. If these are not available I would have the machine shop pay special attention to the block you choose. A 428 block would be a good choice as well. They are not horribly overpriced...CJ

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Some of the 427 cranks were cast iron.....not worth the swap.

And obtaining tunnel port heads and th intake wouldnt probably be worth the money when a set of performer heads are easier to find....

If I was going to go that far with a FE, I'd build a 427 with a 428 crank and use the edelbrock heads.....honestly, Id rather build a 385 series unless I had the dinero and found a Cammer for sale.

BTW.....modding an original tunnel port intake would be rather evil of anyone.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
A 390 and 427 crank are the same stroke, so the only advantage would be if it was a steel crank.

Tunnel Port heads will bolt on, but dont expect the valves to open, they'll hit the cyl wall

Even if they did, it would be way too much port for a 390, and if you ported them, even worse

Solid cam is good, 1.7 rockers are a Chevy or SBF thing. The SMALLEST rockers on an FE are already 1.73 and Ford stock adjustable for solids are 1.76

Bottom line, that motor wont work LOL If the combo would, it wouldn't be strong enough on the lower end to hold together at the RPM you'd have to run. (It'd have to run 8000 rpm to use the flow of the heads)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Go and grab a 390 FE block along with a 428 crank, have it knife edged,
Pauter rods (www.pauter.com), Nice forged alum pistons 10.5:1 comp ratio is ideal, assy balanced....then go get some edelbrock alum heads
along with the same intake and add a demon carb to the mix....with the
Hooker comp headers (coated).

Give Scott at camresearch a call to get the right cam for this setup...

If you can find a windage tray, go for it.

Also...go with electric cooling fans, heat dispersant coat the heads and intake....do use roller rockers...

If possible use an X pipe... and some Flowmasters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts