Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) is the explorer 5.0 a HO,does it have MAF

2) besides making an e brake cable what is needed to fit an explorer 8.8 rear into a 66

3) what is the best intake for a mild 302: Wieland Action+, Wieland Stealth, Holley steet dominator, shelby, or the origanl troker

(Goal for this engine would be decent milage power and drivability and to be able to wind to 5500)

3) are all cams equal, will a comp cam make more power than a crane cam, ect??

do GT40p heads have low exhaust flow like 70 351w heads do?

when porting heads can you only port the exhaust side??

TIA

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
#3.) I like the Performer or Performer RPM
#3 part 2) Don't choose cam primarily by brand. If a Crane, Comp Cam, Lunati, Isky or other top name cam had the specifications I was looking for, I would buy it based on price. I hear Summit cams are made by Crane, thus should be good.

Explorer's GT40P heads are supposed to flow very well, but require a special header.

·
Registered
21,708 Posts
From the guys who are running the GT40P's, they rave about them. Not only do they flow better but they have a superior combustion chamber, the benifit of 30 years of engineering advancements. From test's I've seen, they don't require a lot of total ignition timing. The test I saw in Hot Rod, on a 351W running those heads, the engine lost power with anything more then 28 degrees total advance! that's an efficient combustion chamber! Think of this when buying today's high octane gas. *LOL*

BTW, that 351W with those heads, that were basically stock, save for a good valve job, made 388hp. They also made a fair amout more power through out the entire rpm range then a pair of Dart Sr. heads on the very same engine and cam.

MAC make a pair of long tube headers for the 65-66's that will work with the P heads. I have them, I can send pictures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts