Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
My guess is that it is the timing. Make sure that the distributor is in the right position, as suggested above by verifying that the #1 piston is EXACTLY at TDC and then check that the timing pointer is pointing at TDC. It is very easy to put it in and be off by a tooth or two. then make sure that the #1plug wire goes to the #1 plug AND that the ignition points have just closed while the rotor is at the #1 terminal on the distributor cap. If the distributor is in the right position , the vacuum advance canister should be pointing at about 7 o clock. While trying to start the engine, rotate the distributor several degrees either side of the 7 0'clock position.

If you have gas and spark(at the right time) it will run.

If you are not sure how to do all of the things mentioned above, do yourself a favor take it to a garage or get someone in who had done this before. I would not think that they would charge much to get it running, unless something is really screwed up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK forget the fuel delivery. For now. You can always spray some carb cleaner into the throttle and it should catch on if you have the spark timed. I would make sure that you are in compression TDC (top dead center) on your #1 piston and verify that the distributor rotor is pointing towards the cylinder #1spark plug wire. From there make sure you get the rotor rotation direction correct and verify that the spark plug wires follow the firing order of your engine. If all checks out OK and you verify sparks on all plugs put in the plugs, spray some carb cleaner into the carburator and turn it over. It WILL fire, if only for a few seconds. I don't mention things like compression or a leak down test on cylinders since I assume your engine is mechanically sound. Let us know how it goes!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have a compression tester? if so you need to pull the spark plugs and check compression on all cylinders. That engine sat for over 20 years it is possible you have lost compression in the cylinder walls. might help to use a little light weight oil in each cylinder to create some compression. Check your plugs while they are out to see if they are soaked with gasoline. if they are clean and dry them off. Replace the plugs with a little oil ineach cylinder.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts