Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1 ton engine lift (cherry picker) but it has a hard time clearing the radiator support with the engine on it and wants to tilt forward with the engine in it so I can’t leave the engine hanging....anyways the jack On it kinda gave out so I’m using that as an excuse to get a new one which size are you guys using that cleats the radiator support easily with a 289 on it

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yours doesn't have extendable legs?
The legs drop down and the pins go in them but it still is a fight with an engine and transmission hanging on it it wants to fall to one side not forwards!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 2 ton is usually going to give enough reach. The 1 ton has the capacity it’s just not long enough to make the distance.
Which 2 ton would you use for the mustang to clear the radiator? Because the ones I saw at tractor supply were the same size as my 1 ton!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Which 2 ton would you use for the mustang to clear the radiator? Because the ones I saw at tractor supply were the same size as my 1 ton!
I haven’t done it on the Mustang yet but have on late 70s/early 80s GM metrics we used in the hobby stock class. We used an older HF model, probably 12 years old at least at this point. The current HF 2 ton has about 8” more lift than the 1 ton based on the specs. The boom extension difference is about 18”. That sounds about what we ran into.

What we did was use a leveler to get the engine/trans almost vertical. The leveler was modded with a nut instead of a handle so we could use an impact gun. WAY easier. We’d lift enough to clear the core support, level it as much as we could then guide by hand the assembly by holding up the rear of the trans while rolling the hoist back. Once you clear the front of the car you guide the back of the trans down. I’ve done it a time or two by myself but alone it’s pretty sketchy. With two people, even a non wrench type person helping it’s pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
You may be able to raise the rear of the car and nose it down to help with clearance.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
If the crane is good but the ram failed....

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This works for me.

I have my 65 on a 4 post lift and raise it to clear the legs on the engine hoist. That brings the car up about 6-8” off the ground and I can still get the oil pan over the radiator support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
I have one that's similar to the HF unit posted earlier. Bought it prior to HF being in the area from a defunct outfit called Metro Tools. It's pulled a lot of engines and the folding legs are nice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You may be able to raise the rear of the car and nose it down to help with clearance.
This. Combination lower front of car and raise rear as much as possible reduces lift height required of crane. A load leveler is a great tool also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts