Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Got the valve cover to seal, everything is fine. It runs great. Just there is this annoying sound that appears to be comming from the front of the engine. Like every rotation of the fan it makes a tick or tap. Well, Maybe a click /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It almost sounds as if it is comming from the water pump or fan. I grabbed the fan and jerked on it, and the bearing seems fine. What could I be hearing? Possible a alternator or power steering pump going bad? My brother told me to remove the fan and start it to see if the noise go's away. That is what im going to try next. Do you guys have any advice?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
go to the local parts store and buy a mechanics stethescope OR if your really broke take a long screwdriver and place the tip on the part to be listened to and press your ear against the handle.

Touch each part that it might be with the engine running of couse watch out for spinning fans and such.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Sometimes, with an auto trans and older engine (meaning well broken in, lots of miles), the fan will rotate at idle without hitting anything, but if you put the car in gear, the load on the crankshaft shifts it it small small bit and its just enough to cause the fan to tick against the fan shroud. Similarly, if the water pump is going, putting the load of a/c on will put just enough pressure on the fan pulley that the water pump shaft will shift and tick tick goes the fan. Also, check the alternator. Sometimes the fan blades on the alternator get bent just a bit and can tick against the case. NOt often is this a problem, but it can happen. Also, you can have a bearing going out in the alternator. There is also the potential of a bad bearing in an idler pulley in an a/c car. Lastly, check the power steering fluid level, if it is low you can get noise from the pump, although usually it is a whine.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Check the fuel pump. It could be the pump arm against he eccentric.

The screwdriver trick works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts