Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neighbor said his was noisy too and he tightened the head bolts. Also, engine sounds much smoother when I press the gas lever a little. How do I get the engine to sound smoother? It has new oil change, belts and sparks. Could it just be that the timing is off?
I plan on taking it to the Auto Craft (do-it-yourself w/ staff available...) today and work on it a little.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If pressing the pedal slightley changes the idle alot, it sounds like the carb needs cleaned/rebuilt and or it has a very worn throttle plate.Idle and initial timing both need to be set before attempting any other tuning.If either cannot be set accurately, you need to find out why and fix it before going on.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It may need points/condensor/cap/rotor also to go along with the new spark plugs you installed. Usually the first place you see a need for a general tune-up is when it idles a bit rough. After the new parts instaled, dwell and timing set/checked, if still a bit choppy at idle then you may need a carb Idle adjustment. Easy to do, engine warm, adjust idle mixture screw(s) on carb base for highest RPM, then adjust linkage adjusting screw to proper idle spec. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts