Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to know if I can replace only the engine wiring in my 68' Mustang. I want to do ONLY that which requires the engine to run from the new ignition switch onwards (Alt,Starter selenoid, starter, starter relay, etc.)

The reason I want to do this is because I don't care about anything else. =) I'm building this car as sort of a bare minimum sunny day only muscle car. No heater, or any gizmoz needed except what's necessary to run the engine.

Cost too: I don't want to buy a $150-$600 kit the only thing I need to run is the engine ign system, which is about $50 worth of electrical supplies.

Currently, I have an electronic distributor, not the external ignitional coil type. I also have existing wiring all connected which run the current ign/starter system and lights, etc.

Is there a way I can just disconnect a few ignition components from some specific spots and put in fresh wiring/circuits to run the ignition system independently while still having power go to the headlights/taillights etc?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lol... saw that episode of top gear.

Sure, you can backtrace the wires you dont want and remove them. No more electical than there is in a mustang you could buy a few spools of wire in the right gauges and DIY.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
I'm wanting to know if I can replace only the engine wiring in my 68' Mustang. I want to do ONLY that which requires the engine to run from the new ignition switch onwards (Alt,Starter selenoid, starter, starter relay, etc.)

The reason I want to do this is because I don't care about anything else. =) I'm building this car as sort of a bare minimum sunny day only muscle car. No heater, or any gizmoz needed except what's necessary to run the engine.

Cost too: I don't want to buy a $150-$600 kit the only thing I need to run is the engine ign system, which is about $50 worth of electrical supplies.

Currently, I have an electronic distributor, not the external ignitional coil type. I also have existing wiring all connected which run the current ign/starter system and lights, etc.

Is there a way I can just disconnect a few ignition components from some specific spots and put in fresh wiring/circuits to run the ignition system independently while still having power go to the headlights/taillights etc?

Thanks guys!
Well, that'll be a problem. Your need encompasses the main underdash, engine, and headlight wiring harness. What's wrong with what you have? If you don't wish to use, or have, a heater, simply unplug it. That's what Ford did, on heater-delete cars. There's really not much beyond the heater that can be deleted and still remain street-legal. In some states, even that would be illegal, since the windshield defroster would be lost along with the heater.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that'll be a problem. Your need encompasses the main underdash, engine, and headlight wiring harness. What's wrong with what you have? If you don't wish to use, or have, a heater, simply unplug it. That's what Ford did, on heater-delete cars. There's really not much beyond the heater that can be deleted and still remain street-legal. In some states, even that would be illegal, since the windshield defroster would be lost along with the heater.
It's not really about the heater, and I'm not concerned about it being strictly street legal.

Whats going on is when I bought the car, the wiring setup has been jerry riged and spliced in the engine compartment like the matrix - in fact, if I move some ign wires the wrong way while the engine is running, it wil die.

Besides, it needs replaced: over 40 years old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol... saw that episode of top gear.

Sure, you can backtrace the wires you dont want and remove them. No more electical than there is in a mustang you could buy a few spools of wire in the right gauges and DIY.
haha. yea I was floored at the ending ;)

and thats what Im thinkin, too = just not sure if I can

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
It's not really about the heater, and I'm not concerned about it being strictly street legal.

Whats going on is when I bought the car, the wiring setup has been jerry riged and spliced in the engine compartment like the matrix - in fact, if I move some ign wires the wrong way while the engine is running, it wil die.

Besides, it needs replaced: over 40 years old.
Unless the under dash harness is hacked, just replace the wiring in the engine compartment.

Actually, it's more like $280, if you need to replace all of the wiring forward of the firewall. But the repro stuff is really excellent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts