Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 Stang w 66 in line 6 motor.

Brought Stang home this am from storage, and my son who was following me noticed "blue smoke" coming out of the exhaust on acceleration. I am at the point of swapping out the "peanut" 3 speed,to a 3.03 toploader 3 speed, based on my thinking that I would defer an engine overhall until next year. Is this wishfull thinking? All input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your thinking complete engine overhall and/or swapping out your 3 speed for blue smoke coming from the exaust? Id honestly be trying to squeeze as many pennies as i can especially at the beggining of the season. Try some oil additives before spending big bucks and using up all those hours to do so. Probably just your valves or pistons anyways... drive it around for a while, remember you just pulled it out of storage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the response. I've been using "Lucas Heavey Duty Oil Stabilizer" as recommended by Lucas at approx 20% at oil change. Is there a better oil additive to use?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Before you go any further do a proper compression check. This will give you a good indication of the condition of the engine. There are several reasons you could be blowing blue smoke from worn piston rings, worn valve guides, non-vented crankcase to cheap oil. Typically blue smoke on acceleration indicates worn rings but blue smoke on acceleration AFTER a long idle indicates worn valve guides. One you need new rings the other is a valve job.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like good advise. What do you mean by cheap oil? Or better yet what oil should be used in what is an original 66 I6, milage unknown?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok........ So what motor oil do you put in your stang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts