Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 289 in my mustang was krylon painted by the prvious owner. I would like to strip the paint and then re-paint original color, etc.

What is the best method for removing the paint?
What is the best paint to use when re-painting?

Any experts out there that have gone through this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I would try lacquer thinner first to get the old paint off, if that doesn't work, probably have to resort to paint remover. You didn't specify whether or not you were going to pull the engine, rebuild the engine, etc., but a good soaking in a (caustic soda) hot tank will remove everything down to the cast iron.

I strip down to bare metal, prime with PPG DP80, paint with DAR 13358 (1966 to 1973 Ford blue)

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
[color:red]VIEW ALBUM:</font color=red> http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

G

·
0 Posts
you can use a regular paint stripper in a spray can. just make sure you wash the motor off good before re-painting.

someone here has the paint code for Ford Corporate Blue but I don't have it here. You can use that and have it mixed at a paint store. Otherwise, there are good matches in the rattle can.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I didn't strip the paint on my car's engine. But it was clean!!! There was no oil or grease to be found when I was done. Cleaned it with Simple Green to loosen the gunk, sprayed the heck out of it with a high pressure hose and then cleaned all of the surfaces with laquer thinner.

The paint has been on for four years and still looks pretty good. It has held up well.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

G

·
0 Posts
I did mine out of the car during resto. I ground the areas of the block smooth that will be seen when in the car and used one of the 3M wolly pads on an air tool for the rest of the engine and lacquer thinner. Once down to bare metal, use a paint prep then epoxy primer, sandable primer and paint base coat clear coat wet on wet after the primer. Make sure you use primer, base and clear as a system and don't mix brands. This finish will look great and last many, many times longer than that crap in a spray bomb. As an added bonus, it doesn't burn off around the exhaust manifolds either. Its all about meticulous prep work regardless of what method you use.

1970 Mach 1 still under construction...10 years later

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. so far....
I had hoped to be able to leave the engine in and repaint, but it seems like I will need to pull it to get it good.

I forgot to mention that it is a 1965 engine built in mid-July , which should be black shouldn't it? (It is currently a krylon blue)

Thanks again,

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
If you determine it should be blue, I used PPG DAR 13358 Ford Blue on my 66 and it turned out great.

The engine compartment black is PPG DAR 9295 Ford Accent Black.

I wouldn't worry about getting it to bare metal, but it absolutely must be clean. Then you can hit it with epoxy paint before the color for superior adhesion.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I frequently use brake cleaner to remove all the gunk and oil from an area before I paint it. BTW, the Krylon Ford Blue is a pretty good match for the original color. I believe there are a couple of shades of blue running around between 1966 and 1973. The 66 - 67 blue is a dark corporate blue that is almost a light navy blue. The 68 - 73 blue is slightly lighter (the color of the Krylon Ford Blue).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts