Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 72 v8 302 and i was driving it the other night and it started to tick when i was going home well when i got to my street it started to knock did i prolly blow the engine or something or could i of did something else????

·
Registered
394 Posts
Check your oil level first (not trying to insult your intelligence here, but don't want to overlook anything either). Exhaust leaks can sound like an engine tick or knock sometimes. If you have a mechanics stethoscope hunt around the valve train to see if you can isolate a location. A long screwdriver can work as well (put your ear against the handle :p).

Jim Gates
72 Mach 1 - 460, C6
65 Olds 4-4-2, 400 ci, 4-sp
71 Dart Swinger 340 - Project in the queue

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do u mean about the screw driver? and how do i check for a exhaust leak?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Take a long screwdriver and place the blade end on the exhoust manifold, place your ear on handle. Move
the blade end around listening for excessive or strange sounds. A hollow tube works well also (copper tubing). The idea is to isolate the other engine noises so you can find the offending sound. Don't get
you hair or anything elso cought in the fan or belts trying this trick. What your hoping for is a leaking exhoust gasket, instead of a rod or piston that has failed. Move your listening device around the motor
tell you hear the most pronounced sound

Regards,
BillGear

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp,http://www.289mustang.com
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you place the blade of the screwdriver against what you want to listen to, and place your ear at the other end against the end of the handle you can hear things about as well as using an engineers stethoscope. It's an old trick, but a very useful one. Exhaust leaks do sound like an engine knock sometimes, have the engine running and start poking around the engine bay, your most likely culprit will be at your exhaust manifolds. Hope this helps a little bit.

Mike
'69 Acapulco Blue Mach 1
351W M Code

"Women fear me, cars want me"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An exhaust leak can sound like a lifter (or valve train) noise.
A loose spark plug (compression leak) can sound like an exhaust leak.
Either of the three (exhaust, spark plug, or valve train) can usually be fixed without too much pain.
However, the "knock" you mentioned is a potential killer. If you have a lower end (rod) knock, all of the screwdrivers and stethoscopes on this planet aren't going to do you much good.
I think you should follow the first post's advice, start with checking the oil level.
Let's face it, if you have to rebuild, you can always punch out a few more cubes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so im going to have to rebuild now i need to know what to do i can only spend about 1000 thats all the $$$ i have so can i get a rebuild with that kind of money getting it machined and all plus is there any way to make it a powerful engine like new cam new headerds and stuff maybe forged pistons?????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts