Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting everything back on after getting my motor and transmission back from the rebuilder, and was almost done when I ran into a snag. When I installed the distributer, it went in OK and I could feel the gear engage, but it didn't want to go down all the way. After giving it a couple of bops with a mallet, it went in, but I sensed things weren't right. It was difficult to pull out, and when it did come out, the oil pump shaft came out with it. Does the oil pump have to be removed to reinstall the shaft correctly, or does it just drop back into place?

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/A3/89/10694051-d3cd-0122006F-.jpg

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Sounds like you are missing the Tinnerman retainer that fits on the pump shaft between the pump and the dist shaft hole. It either wasn't install on assembly or it came off when you removed the dist. Either way, you're lucky the shaft came out with the dist. Most times it drops into the bottom of the oil pan.

Check about half way down the page in this link where it says "Builders Tip". Good info on your needs.

http://home.earthlink.net/~stang351/build2.html

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
In addition to what MustangJoe said, leave the mallet in the tool box next time....

The only time I use a hammer when building an engine is when I use a brass mallet to set the head and main bolts (if not using studs)...After intitial torquing, it sets the registers and flats under the bolt heads. I then re-check the reading in case something settled...

What happened in your case likely was the distributor hex hole didn't line up with the oil pump hex shaft and you created an interference fit by burring either the distributor or shaft.

After verifying correct fit of new shaft (if required) and distributor (out of engine), remove oil pan and pump, re-install shaft with retainer facing block (you'll likely need a new oil pump gasket as well as pan gaskets). Re-torque all fasteners per service manual. You can do is quick and dirty by locktiting the shaft into the distributor and installing them as a unit without removing the pan but this could make future maintenance problematical. I also prefer the shaft to float freely....it would likely do so eventually but the risk of it falling into the oil pan upon future maintenance is great.

If this engine has a warranty, contact the engine builder prior to taking anything apart...doing so could void your warranty.

If you need any further assistance, post...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hey Bob - Good to hear you've gotten the engine and gearbox back - but the distributor/oil pump shaft woes are a bummer. Kinda consistent with the whole project, though.

Is the engine in the car or on a stand? You are in much better shape if it hasn't been installed, of course.

I cannot imagine Willie leaving anything off, but it is possible. Everything you've been told is correct, but since Willie has lotsa "skin" in this, I'd contact him. IME, he wants you to be happy with the work he's done and would rather help you than let you flounder and possibly create a reliability problem down the road. Who knows - maybe he'll install it for you.

BTW - Did you rebuild the distributor? You might want to consider getting it rebuilt and re-curved to match your new engine internals if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice. I have a feeling that after jamming the pump shaft in the distributer shaft, I also stripped off the retainer while pulling out the distributer. Not one of my finer pieces of work. I'll check with the rebuilder to see if he would prefer to do the work himself to avoid introducing additional variables to his rebuild.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,484 Posts
What? Bonk the head+main bolts and re-torque. Makes sense. I learn something new every day.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Glenn-
The motor is in the car, in fact, installing the distributor was one of the last assembly steps I was doing. I'm sure Willie didn't leave anything out, especially since he spent so much time fabricating an oil pump intake piece and dimpling the windage tray to accomodate the longer stroke. I'm going to call him and fess up to my misdeed, although I hate to own up to such a doofus. If he wants to fix it, that would be great, but if I do it, I want to be sure it's in accordance with his instructions. He wanted to adjust the valves and start it up, so I was going to trailer it to his place anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts