Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of reassembling my motor and have run into something odd; as I put the pistons into the cylinders and fit the rod ends around the crank, all slid in without resistance except for one. (#7) For this one, there were no problems fitting the piston into the cylinder, but once it was time to fit the rod onto the crank, I met with a little more resistance than I expected. I had to slap the end of a hammer handle to drive the rod end into place over the bearing journal. It almost looked like the rod in question was binding against the side of the crank and the other rod end on the journal. Once in, the rod seems to rotate without any trouble or binding.

It wasn't like I had to drive the rod on with a hammer, but it was a little tougher than the others which just seemed to drip right on. Is something wrong or is this normal? I can't understand how the rod could be too big for the journal; Everything was fit together fine when I took it apart.

Thanks,

-matt k.

·
Registered
21,143 Posts
Maybe that rod is slightly twisted. I'd have all the rods resized and checked. It's relatively cheap. They'll also put NEW rod bolts in too. I wouldn't trust an old set of bolts.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Is the notch on the rod facing toward the front of the motor? They all point in the same direction. Also chech the bearing clearences to make sure that they are correct before you torgue everything down and close it all up.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You know they may have sweated the piston sleeve and the connecting rod off center. Pull it back out and look at the cylinder wall for scrapes. Also look at the rod and see if it looks like it is in the center. Why did you do a rebuild anyway?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Check the rod for correct orientation. Make sure the chamfered edge (under or near the bearing area) faces toward the crank, not the other rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts