Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with lot of help and advice from VMF and others, I rebuilt my engine and transmission this winter. In January, I slipped on ice and broke my fibula in my right leg. So, half of the rebuild was done with my leg in a cast. Went through the whole process, cast, walking boot, and physical therapy.

Start PT and my leg starts killing me. The fracture never healed correctly and opened back up. They tried several therapy processes but no good. So, I had surgery to insert plates and screws about 3 weeks ago. Now stitches are all out and I'm back in a cast for 4 weeks. It's my right leg to boot which means no driving. Have to get a ride to work etc.

So, now I have this beautifully running new engine in my 66 just sitting in the garage and I can't drive it! Hopefully I progress quickly through this process and get to drive it a little before the snow flies!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sorry you've had so much trouble.
It is easier with a hair-covered companion.
I think if I could rebuild an engine, I could learn how to drive with my left foot, and if it has a manual transmission, a hand control for the accelerator... challenged people do this and a lot more ! !
I quickly developed a way to start a mower, mow my yard and trim with one arm after a major surgery.
Be very safe but be very brave, and start someplace with not too many other cars around haha

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Engine looks awesome...the leg, not so much.

Hopefully things improve from here and your able to get some drive time in. I’m sure it’s hard not being able to drive it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine looks awesome...the leg, not so much.

Hopefully things improve from here and your able to get some drive time in. I’m sure it’s hard not being able to drive it.
The lady putty my cast on asked what color I wanted, I told her Ford Blue to match my engine. I got a black stare!:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Show car quality,...seriously!

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
The engine bay is what I’m impressed with!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sorry about the troubles you've been having. Your engine bay looks beautiful, and I'm sure you'll get around to dirtying it soon enough ;)

In the meantime, focus on healing up properly! Looks like you've got a furry companion who will help out :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
What a travesty. You should pour sand in the engine!
I was actually thinking I would contact the navy and see if they could melt my whole car down and use it as an anchor :lol:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Take your time and let it heal.

I fractured my ankle, and had plates and screws installed. I thought I was superman and was working in my cast etc, oblivious of the swelling and need to elevate and rest.

Got an infection in my foot and was on IV antibiotics every single day for about 2 weeks. Had to travel to the hospital.

Then after everything was said and done, the screws started backing out (pushed by the bone growth) another 10 months out of recover, so I had most of them removed and the plate.

All is okay now, but the leg is never the same.

Best of luck and rest, ice, elevate. Be patient it will be better in the ling term

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sorry man, I’m sure that’s very frustrating. Hopefully you’ll heal quickly and get a few nice autumn days to drive. If not, you’ll know she’s ready for you next spring. You will enjoy your hard work soon enough.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
get well soon! But what's I really want to know is what did you use to take the picture of your engine! Phone? Camera? Filter? That looks like you had it professionally done...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
get well soon! But what's I really want to know is what did you use to take the picture of your engine! Phone? Camera? Filter? That looks like you had it professionally done...
I was at a local cruise in and a lady I know through work came walking through taking pics of cars. They loved my car and took a bunch of pictures. She then texted them to me. I was definitely some kind of fancy digital camera with a 4-5" lens on it. I'm not sure of anything else but I agree, it does look professional and better in the pictures than in person. It even made the so-so paint job look good in the other pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Treat the leg carefully, as you are going to be stress testing it thousands of times a day for many many years.

I had 4 vertebrae broken courtesy of Uncle Sam in a helo that ran out of altitude and luck at the same time, sideways into the ground.

But I walk, and not everyone can who was on that bird. Treat the bones well, unless you have a source for new ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts