Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just about have the engine out of my 66 stang (289 auto), and am going to start on the rebuild. What are everyones suggestions. I havent bought anything, so any help would be great concerning anything relating to rebuilding the engine. Here are my goals for the engine. - I hope to be making somewhere in the 250 hp range, but retain most of the stock look, i am willing to make some exceptions for power. This car is not a daily driver, but i want enough power for it to be fun to drive. Basically i just want to get a good quality rebuild with good power, without going overboard. thanks

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Even a bone stock 289 that is in good tune has enough power to be fun to drive. If you want to make a little more;

250 HP should be easy to get from your 289. I'd go with something like the World Products iron assembled heads. You can buy these for less then $500 and I saw them for $398 somewhere a month ago, that's a steal. You will have about that in a your own heads rebuilt and ported, why bother.

Do a stock rebuild on the bottom end with a high volume oil pump, and then when you buy pistons go to something that will get you about 9 - 9.5 to 1. Cast are just fine for this power level. Go with a mild performance cam, it's more important that you match the parts to make streetable power.

Go to a 4bbl dual plane intake manifold - either Ford or something like an Edelbrock Performer. Use a good quality 600 CFM vacuum secondary carb.

Stock distributor is fine but add a Pertronix Ignitor.

A set of painted headers will perform just fine - about $100 plus a basic dual exaust system.

Everything past the long block can be added later as funds allow, and a peice at a time if nessessary.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hal's advice is excellent...you'll have a reliable, reasonably stock engine that will, with maintenance, give you a normal service life...

My first street racer '67 was built like that and ran low 14's and I drove it everywhere during my college years....

Just remember, it's the total combination that matters, not any one particular part...pay attention to your transmission, rear end, suspension and brakes too....they're all part of the equation...

Good luck!

PS to Hal...sorry I put this one in the wrong place....

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just a note on the World Products iron heads. The Windsor Jr. cast iron heads, assembled,
for small block Ford go for $400 EACH. Not a bad price, but not a steal either. If you prefer
to keep your heads somewhat original, you can have your stock heads rebuilt with larger valves,
including a port & polish job by PowerHeads in CA.

Rich
'67 C-code Convertible (Dees67)
'69 GT Sportsroof (project car)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts