Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations for shops to rebuild my 289 in the Los Angeles area. I know it is a big area but I am willing to travel for the right shop. I would also like to know if they can do engine compartment detailing as well.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What part of LA are you located?
I am in Reseda/Northridge area.
I might be able to recomed a rebilder in the valley that did my friends 302 that is now mine that did an excelent job. I will have to dig up the paperwork at home. Let me know if you are interested. Also look in the Recycler there are some good onea as well as bad ones in there. Do NOT go to Engine Towne!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!!!

I am in South Bay area (Torrance). If you could dig up the info on your rebuilder I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Torrance huh? Are you a member of Beach Cities Mustang Club? If not, you should come down and check out the next monthly meeting. The next meeting is next Tuesday (Aug. 13th). There, you will meet several people who can direct you to the very best engine building places in our area. Go to www.bcmc.net to get the driving directions to the meeting site. We are building a new site, so ignore the ancient info.....the meeting info is still valid however. Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If you can't find an acceptable "one Stop shop", This I can recommend.

The Chevron station which sits on the corner of Venice & Sepulvida is a long time family friend. Johnnie, the actual owner is a true car nut, his son is an excellent mechanic and car nut also. "Dad' use to build hot rods in the 60's. The mechanic shop has moved but if you go by there, they will direct you to the new shop location. Very honest and priced resonably....I still send both of my sister-in-laws to him for service work now that I'm out-of-town.

Hewill pull, assemble & disassemble, install the engine...no problem. For machine shop service, I highly recommend Kelly's Block Welding Service on West Washington Blvd, near Costco in West LA/Culver City area. Dennis now runs the shop, but his dad started the business in the 1950's and was trained by the US Navy including welding ship engine blocks back together after they had cracked. The guy is very good, even welded up an aluminum cylinder head that cracked in 3 places (completely), on an engine with a 10:1 cr and 180 psi...never leaked. Dennis machined my stang engine (which was a total pain because of the oddball parts). They have been doing my family's machine work since 1960's and have nothing to say but very positive things. FYI, I think they are open 4 days a week (Dennis is actually there on fridays but is doing very specialized machine work), 10 hours a day.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Many years ago I use to live right down there, if things go the way I think, we will be returning to the "homeland" by this time next year. Still make quite a few visits since most of the family are in that area!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts