Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pick up a 67 mustang with the body completed and painted and a 289 engine. The owner took out the engine and transmission to do the work. He said the engine ran well before he pulled it but I would like to go through it and freshen it up while it's out. I wouldt't mind trying to get a few more hp out of it as well. Like most of us I am on a tight budget as I have many other parts to buy. Any ideas of how I should go about it, and recommendations would be appreciated. I am a beginner but am excited to get into and learn.

·
Registered
37,786 Posts
Easy answer...

1. Since it's already out, throw it on a pallet, spray it LIBERALLY with a good degreaser like RED HOT, Purple Power, etc., and pressure wash it CLEAN. If you don't have a pressure washer, run it to the self-serve car wash.

2. Disassemble and catalog the parts. Clear ZipLoc bags, manila tags with wires, etc. Take it right down to the bare block.

3. Measure/evaluate each component. I'd start with the cylinder block first, since if it isn't "serviceable" you'll have a decision to make.... do you get a Exploder GT-40/GT-40P unit from the salvage yard and build a 302 or do you get a reman'd bare or short block or do you get a new block. Ideally, you should end up with three "piles".... good-will re-use, questionable... need to evaluate further, and "junk"..will not re-use. DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY yet, though.

4. Acquire the necessary replacement parts, gaskets, etc.

5. Prior to final assembly, chase all bolt holes, remove burrs, casting flash, sand bubbles, brush out oil galleries, thread oil galley plugs, expansion plugs (if desired), chamfer oil drain holes in heads, etc.

6. Paint as desired... FWIW, the factory painted the engine after assembly but some people don't like their gaskets painted, LOL.

7. Pretend your a brain surgeon working on a VIP... make sure your "operating theatre" is clean enough to eat off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts