Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just can't seem to get the beauty going! i replace every single ignition piece imaginable. she will start up but when she starts it revs up real high then slowly drops and then dies. i have to keep pressing on the gas pedal to keep it going. it isn't the idle adjustment screw cause i turned it as high as it would go and it still would die. do i have a vaccuum leak? she is in time and has a new holley fuel pump. thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I would check for a vacume leak first then check your fuel pressure.Its usually something simple.

G

·
0 Posts
I agree, sounds like a vacuum leak. Check the hoses off your carb (is what stranded me in 17 degrees at 3 am, not telling the whole story /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
977 Posts
Use some started fluid. Spray it around the engine vacuum hoses. When it speeds up you are real close to the leak. I would also check the throttle position. You throttle plates might be set too low.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sorry I guess I should have read more... Also check your dashpot. It might be backed down to low and not engaging like it should. What is your vacuum reading at a steady speed? 12-15 or 19-23?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ok, hold on.... If the vacuum stays near 19-23 inches of mercury when at a steady pace other than idle (since it won't stay there) you don't have a leak. It will want to run faster when it is lean but it will dye because it can't breathe. You may have something clogging the jets. There are two on each side of the carb.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yet another note... You might want to also check the set screws on the sides of the carb. They may be in too far restricting fuel. Count the number of turns that it takes to close them off completely. They should be somewhat close to each other. If not back them out 2 full turns each and then start the car. Slowly turn them clockwise until you notice a change in idle. Listen carefully to the idle and back it off until the idle changes speed. Then go to the other side and do the same thing. If it still won't start go even more than two turns. The norm is about one and a quarter turn to one and half. It also depends on the motor setup too but this should do you. What is the choke plate doing? Did you rebuild the carb?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts